This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

The second semester of college is in full swing; you survived the first semester. Congratulations! Now, if you are living off-campus and want a furry friend to brighten your day, a cat is a purrfect pet for a college student. Here are all the reasons why you should get a cat. 

Let’s be honest; every college student is a mess mentally sometimes; there is a lot of pressure to do well in school and find your career. Friends or partners can’t always be that support; a cat will, though! Cats are misunderstood, intelligent attention seekers, cuddly, adaptable, and sweet. If you raise your cat with love and attention, they will give that back to you. 

Time

Being a college student is hectic; your schedule may be random. Your cat does not have to be walked and has a litter box. You do not have to stop your day for them. Your cat can have food and water in their bowl all day. This is a huge bonus when picking out the correct animal because dogs need to be walked and fed at certain times. Cats can entertain themselves at home or sleep all day and be okay when you come back, don’t get that confused, though; they love attention.

Money

Most college students don’t have all the money in the world. But, you don’t have to suffer from not having a pet. A cat does not need someone to walk them or feed them in the middle of the day which costs money; they can be okay to stay home alone for a night. They usually don’t need to go to the vet more than once a year. Food and litter will be your consistent expenses, but luckily there are many ways to save money, like buying 15 lb bags of food and giant bags of litter; depending on the company, you can find them for a reasonable price. Overall a cat is not the most expensive pet. 

Saving a Life

Most cats people get will be from a shelter or a rescue, meaning you will save a life! They will get an opportunity for a second chance at life. Some cats wait years to get adopted, and others wait weeks at shelters until they are euthanized. You can be the one that stops a kitten from death, giving them a place to live happy and healthy with love and shelter. 

Happiness

Having a cat will bring a whole lot of happiness to your life. You can play with them, take them on walks, cuddle, and teach them tricks. They are a great overall companion. 

So, what are you waiting for? Get yourself a furrever best friend that will fit your college lifestyle perfectly! 

Ava Margolis grew up in New Jersey and now resides in South Florida. Margolis attends Lynn University where she studies Multimedia Journalism. Margolis plans to continue her education to become a therapist for children. She is outgoing, compassionate, and an adventurous person who loves sharing her passions with others.