The difference between hometown and college friends and how to balance them.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Friends are such an important part of our lives. We choose them with the intent to confide in them, make memories, and be there for them through good and bad times. As we grow up, having different groups of friends is very common, and with that comes differences between each friend group. Hometown friends are people who you grew up with. They know your hometown and most likely went to the same school as you. They are someone who shaped you into the person you are today, and you can always count on them. College friends are people who you probably met while in a time of transition. They are essential because you could’ve connected with them over a similar experience, or maybe you just clicked right away. 

The difference between hometown and college friends is vast and can be different for everyone. For me, hometown friends know me as the person I am when I’m at home. I’m comfortable and can always count on them for a good time. My friends from home know my experiences at college and know my friends I have at college, but they aren’t there to experience them with me. On the same note, my college friends experience school with me but don’t understand my hometown or how my life looks different while I’m there. This can be difficult to balance because friends tend to bond over shared experiences, so when everyone is doing other things in different places, it can create a sense of disconnect. 

Understanding this possible disconnect is the first step in being able to balance both groups of friends. When I’m at college and know I’m not going to be able to see my home friends for a while, I like to plan a time when I’m going to see them. That way I have something to look forward to. Visiting your home friends at their college can be very beneficial because it allows you to see a small portion of their lives in college. Another way to stay connected with home friends is by making the most of the time during breaks when you’re at home. Thanksgiving and Christmas break is such a fun time of the year, and catching up with friends from home is super important. 

Staying connected with college friends can be a bit easier at times. Once you’re back at school for the year, there are usually only two long breaks where you aren’t with college friends in person. Staying connected over the phone is super important. Checking in and FaceTiming college friends while away is important so that when you see them next, it’s like no time has passed. For summer break, visiting college friends in their hometown for a long weekend can be an excellent way to connect with them. Understanding their home town and meeting their friends is such a great experience and separate from that at college. 

Balancing friendships can be a hard thing to do, no matter who or where you are. The biggest thing to understand is that friend groups should be there for you and should always have your best interest at heart. Balancing and putting effort into both should be enough to have two great friend groups that always support you and each other. 

Hi, my name is Anabel and I’m a student at Lynn University. My major is social entrepreneurship with a minor in law and legal studies. I love going to the beach and spending time with friends. I joined her campus to meet new people and practice my writing and editorial skills.