Wellness

Take Care of Your Skin: Sunscreen Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Sunscreen is just one of the ways to protect your skin from the harsh sun rays.

Do you apply sunscreen everyday? You have probably been told horror stories in your family about not wearing sunscreen and what could happen if you do not. Skin cancer and sun damage will affect you if you are older by not wearing sunscreen or protecting your skin. Sunscreen should be the foundation of your makeup routine or any skin care routine. Sunscreen is also one of the best anti-aging products we have in the world. UV exposure seems to be responsible for up to 80% of facial aging. Sunscreen is cheap, affordable, and important. If you are tired of waiting for the perfect sunscreen: stop and look no more. Here’s a rundown of some of my favorite sunscreens and why you should get them. 

Bondi Sands 

Bondi Sands is an Australian made and tested sunscreen line. As this product was made in one of the hottest places on Earth this company knows what to look out for when making a good skin protection. This product is paraben & sulfate free, reef friendly, and cruelty free. This SPF 50 gives protection from UVA and UVB sun rays and is water resistant for up to 80 minutes. This product is fragrance free and will leave your skin glowing without feeling greasy. This product is great for normal to dry skin types and contains aloe and Vitamin E. This sunscreen does not leave any white cast and is great for darker skin tones. Bondi Sands absorbs into your skin and protects you all day without having to reapply every few hours. 

Elta MD Skincare  

If you are scared of sunscreen and buying new products check out this sunscreen. This sunscreen is specifically made for acne prone skin. This is one of the top sunscreens recommended by dermatologists for those struggling with skin care. This sunscreen is an SPF 40 and also combats UVA & UVB rays. This product is made with hyaluronic acid to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. This sunscreen also contains tint and Zinc. Sheer and lightweight would be two words to describe this product as it also does not peel and absorbs right into your skin. If you are struggling with acne check out this product. 

La Roche-Posay  

La Roche-Posay is a highly tested sunscreen. This mineral sunscreen contains zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, and provides SPF 50 protection. It is oil free and is perfect for all skin types especially sensitive skin. This product is recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation and dermatology tested. If you are looking for something weightless, fast absorbing, and oil-free this is the perfect sunscreen for you. This product gives the face a matte finish after applied and is water resistant for 40 minutes.  

CeraVe Hydrating Sunscreen  

If you are a fan of CeraVe or have been recommended this product countless times by your Dermatologist—listen up! This mineral sunscreen was developed and tested by dermatologists, has been accepted by the National Eczema Association, and has been awarded the Skin Cancer Foundation Daily Use Seal of Approval. This sunscreen is great for all skin types and protects from UVA/UVB rays and is also SPF 50 protected. This product was made to calm the skin while still providing protection while it is oil free the product tends to be on the heavier side. This sunscreen also contains Ceramides which helps restore the natural skin barrier while still getting protected from skin damage. Your dermatologist was right. This product is great!

Sun Bum Sunscreen Face Mist 

The Sun Bum line is known for their cute bottles and their banana fragrance but what if I told you it is also really good for your skin. This vegan brand is non-comedogenic which prevents your pores getting clogged if you are prone to breakouts and it is also dermatologist tested. This product protects from harmful rays while still being lightweight and containing witch hazel to relieve skin irritation. This product is reef friendly and must be applied 15 minutes before sun exposure. 

Sunscreen is just one of the ways to protect your skin from the harsh sun rays. Some other ways to protect your skin would be wearing hats and UV protected sunglasses during the sun’s most harsh hours which is 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and using vitamin C under your SPF for extra sun protection. Remember to wear your sunscreen everyday and also that doing these simple things will save you a lifetime of harm when it comes to your skin.

Kelly is a senior at Lynn University. She is currently studying Psychology in hopes of becoming a therapist. Kelly spends most of her time at the beach or listening to music. She loves helping people and learning new things everyday!