Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Sailing Through the Distance: A Guide to Long-Distance Relationships

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

In the grand idea of love, long-distance relationships are the intricate stitches that often require extra care, patience, and creativity. It’s like keeping a boat afloat and sailing steadily across vast seas. While the distance can be daunting, it also offers a unique opportunity to deepen bonds, cultivate trust, and cherish the moments shared, no matter how miles apart you may be. Here’s a lighthouse of advice to guide you through.

1. Communicate Openly and Regularly

The cornerstone of any relationship, especially an LDR, is communication. With today’s technology, staying in touch is easier than ever. Whether it’s a good morning text, a video call to share your day, or a long email reflecting on your feelings, these small acts of communication keep the emotional connection alive. Remember, it’s not just the frequency but the quality of communication that counts. Be honest about your feelings, expectations, and fears.

2. Keep a Shared Calendar

One of the joys of a relationship is looking forward to spending time together. In an LDR, this means planning visits. Keep a shared calendar of your schedules, including visits, work commitments, and other important dates. This not only helps in planning your next reunion but also gives you both something to eagerly anticipate.

3. Find Ways to Experience Together

Shared experiences can bridge the gap between you and your partner. Watch a movie together while video calling, play an online game, or even read a book simultaneously. These activities help maintain a sense of normalcy and togetherness, making the distance feel a bit smaller.

4. Cultivate Trust and Independence

Trust is the anchor of an LDR. Without it, doubts and insecurities can quickly cloud the relationship. Cultivate trust by being open, reliable, and supportive. Additionally, embrace your independence. Use this time apart to pursue personal goals, and hobbies, or spend time with friends and family. A healthy level of independence is vital for personal growth and can strengthen your relationship.

5. Celebrate Milestones and Create New Traditions

Don’t let the distance stop you from celebrating important milestones together. Whether it’s birthdays, anniversaries, or personal achievements, find creative ways to make these occasions special. Start new traditions, like sending each other surprise care packages, writing love letters, or planning special virtual dates.

6. Focus on the Positive Aspects

It’s easy to dwell on the negatives of being apart, but try to focus on the positives. Long-distance relationships can strengthen communication skills, foster independence, and make the time you do spend together even more precious.

7. Have a Plan for the Future

Lastly, having a clear plan for your future together can help navigate the challenges of being apart. Discuss your goals, where you see yourselves living, and how you plan to eventually eliminate the distance. Knowing there’s a light at the end of the tunnel can make all the difference.

Navigating a long-distance relationship is no small feat. It requires effort, patience, and a lot of love. But remember, the distance is not forever. With each passing day, you’re one step closer to being together again. So, keep your eyes on the horizon, and let the love you share be your guiding star.

McKenzie is a junior at Lynn University. She is currently studying Data Analytics at Lynn University and has a dream of working for a Big Four consulting firm. McKenzie has a huge passion for travel, trying new foods, and meeting new friends along the way. McKenzie's favorite country she has visited so far is either Italy or Greece, and her favorite food is sushi.