This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

After the chaos of 2020 and everything being shut down, Broadway has finally started to open again. In reviewing my other article I realized most of the shows are no longer open. So, here are my recommendations for current Broadway shows you won’t want to miss. 

Hamilton

Hamilton is by far one of Lin-Manuel Miranda’s greatest successes. During the 70th Tony Awards it was nominated for sixteen and won eleven. It is a two-hour and fifty-five minute show with one intermission. The show tells the story of American Founding Father Alexander Hamilton in a hip-hop/rap musical. Manuel was inspired to write this musical after reading Hamilton’s biography written by Ron Chernow. Personally, I think nothing beats live theater, but the original show can currently be streamed on Disney+. It’s my dream to watch this show on Broadway sometime soon. 

WaiTress

Waitress is a musical with lyrics written by Sara Bareilles and booked by Jessie Nelson. The show follows Jenna Hunterson, a baker and waitress at a small town diner and how she’s navigating during a difficult time. This musical was inspired by the 2007 film also titled Waitress. I personally love the welcoming environment of this theater, along the sides of the stage are floor to ceiling dessert display cases with different pies inside and also the smell of pie completely fills the theater and truly adds to the atmosphere of the show. They even sell small pies in a jar before the show starts!

The lion king

The Lion King is a beautiful show based off of the classic Disney film. During the 1998 Tony Awards it won six awards. My favorite part, and possibly the most unique part of this show is the beautiful artistry of the costumes. This show uses masks and puppets to immerse the audience in the story. During the opening number performers dance down the isles of the theater holding different types of animal puppets. This two and a half hour show can be enjoyed by all Disney fans or not. 

I am so excited to get back to a theater and to see what new shows are coming to Broadway. To help with the safety of all in the theater proof of vaccination or negative Covid test are required as well as wearing a mask throughout the performance. However I would suggest checking with the theater before you go to just to be sure. 

Bryanna is a Junior at Lynn University majoring in Fashion and Retail with a Minor in Psychology. This is Bryanna's first year written for Her Campus at Lynn and she is very excited to share her ideas with everyone. She has a passions for Disney, theatre, make up, and baking. One of her biggest goals is to make others happy though what she creates. Her biggest dream is to be a costume designer for Broadway Musicals.