My Mind and Me Documentary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

“But when it comes to me, I wouldn’t want to be anyone else”. My Mind and Me was raw, honest, and emotional. The documentary is about the iconic pop star, Selena Gomez. You may know her for playing the role of (Alex) on the Disney Channel hit star show Wizards of Waverly Place. Even more for being in the public eye. The documentary was different from others, not a lot of interviews or sit-downs, it was just watching Selena go through life as a celebrity but also very personaI.

I have been a fan of Selena Gomez since her Disney days. I grew up listening to her songs on the ride to school. I was lucky enough to go to her concert and she was a part of my childhood. I feel like I’ve watched her grow up from her Disney days or movies like Beezus and Ramona and Monte Carlo, but most of all from the public eye. I never met her but I feel like I know her from this documentary. It opens up a whole other world of Selena that we have not seen and it is very touching. This documentary is so unique because it can have a great impact on younger people going through this.

This film is amazing! The film brings a whole new perspective on Selena and her journey through mental health. “I’m no beauty queen, I’m just beautiful me”. It was inspiring in a way that even the best people with the best lives can struggle too. Her documentary had me hooked from the beginning! I love how open and honest she was about her struggles with her physical and mental health and even fame. If you’re a fan or not I highly recommend watching this film as it draws attention to mental health and also sees who Selena is behind closed doors.

Kayla is currently a Senior at Lynn University majoring in Communications  with a focus on social media. Kayla spends a lot of her time participating in a variety of Lynn’s media outlets. Kayla has co hosted a weekly segment for the Lynn radio and for the past year has been a contributor on Her Campus Lynn social media and wrirting for the magazine.