Miley Cyrus releases her new single “Used to be Young”: Reflections of her life in the last thirty years.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Miley Cyrus releases her new single “Used to be Young”: Reflections of her life in the past thirty years. 

Miley Cyrus just released a new single “Used to Be Young” which is a reflection of the last thirty years of her life and career. Here we have five revelations 

Miley Cyrus released her reflective single “Used to Be Young” which talks about her time in the spotlight released on August 25th

She chose this release date because it marks the tenth anniversary of her controversial 2013 MTV performance in which she is seen twerking and dancing with a foam finger alongside singer Robin Thicke.

“This song is about honoring who we’ve been, loving who we are, and celebrating who will become”. Cyprus said of the song in a statement. “I feel proud when reflecting on my past and optimistic when thinking about the future. 

As part of the single’s release, she released a mini TikTok series inspired by the single in which she reflects on the last thirty years of her life and her career. She reflected on childhood stardom and controversies throughout her career. The singer got her childhood stardom on the hit show Hannah Montana in which she plays a teen with a double life as a famous pop star.

Like many child stars, Miley has been watched closely through the microscope of the public eye since leaving the Disney Channel. 

She faced a lot of criticism over her performance of her hit song “Party in the USA” at the 2009 Teen Choice Awards, with some criticizing her use of a stripper pole as a sixteen-year-old.Nearly a decade later, she set the record straight that she did not dance with a stripper pole but that it was a pole for stability since she had to dance atop an ice cream cart with heels. 

Another instance would be in her 2008 Vanity Fair topless photo shoot. However, Miley defended the experience. One of her most notable experiences from her video was wearing red lipstick for the first time. Patty Dubroph said that it would be another element to divide her from Hannah Montana. She even shared that her family was present during the photo shoot with Annie Lebowitz. 

She also revealed that she did not make a dime of her 2014 Bangerz tour. She saw it rather as an investment in herself.

Carla M. Rivera Medina is a sophomore and international student from Ponce, Puerto Rico. She is a multi media journalism at Lynn University. Her favorite hobbies are painting, singing, and listening to music.