This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

If you’re like me and your new adventure after school started by you moving across the world to a new country you must have moments where you miss home, your friends, your family and just the familiar environment of being at home. Everything is new to you now, everything is different, you are in the unknown. But all of that is OK; you’ll get through it we’re designed to face challenges and to overcome those challenges. 

For me I have been in a new country for six months.This is the first time I have been away from home for so long so of course there are moments where I feel homesick and wonder why I left home. Luckily for me I had my mother and sister with me for the first five months, without them I don’t think I would have made it this far. It was nice knowing I wasn’t alone and I had family by my side, so that if one of us was homesick we could all be homesick together. 

It has been about a month since my mom and sister went back home to South Africa. I am very surprised how I’ve – managed to adjust to being by myself. Well I mean, I have my friends now that – I’ve made at college so I’m not quite alone. – The other day I decided I wanted to have a little touch of home so I went to the South African shop in Fort Lauderdale where I bought myself some South African food which was amazing and that gave me that little touch of home and reminded me that I’ll be home before I know it.       

About two and a half weeks ago something amazing happened. I found out one of my closest friends from South Africa was coming to work in Florida. I was over the moon with happiness and joy. I had not seen any of my South African friends since April and not seeing people you know for a very long time can most definitely take its toll on you. He arrived in Florida and we made a plan to meet up so this last week I went and saw him – and seeing him reminded me of home and how grateful I am to be on this amazing adventure knowing that even though it’s hard there are still times like these that make up for those hard times. I’ll be going home in just short of seven weeks, – so hopefully if I keep close to home for the next seven weeks the time will fly by. 

If any of you reading this start a new adventure in an unknown place the best thing to do to get through the homesickness and the tough times is to remind yourself of home and how amazing it is to live in a place like that but also remind yourself of how lucky you are to be living the adventure that you’re living in now. 

Lauren is an international student majoring in Hospitality Management. She is a very interactive, positive and friendly young lady who always gives of her best. She always wears a smile on her face and tries brighten up everyone’s day. She is very passionate about her home country and educating many young people about her beloved country.