Julia Roberts A Queen of Romantic Comedies 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

One of those actors that you can not help but fall in love with. Julia Roberts is a Hollywood icon! She is graceful, warm and charismatic. She created a name for herself through her decades of work in the romantic comedy genre. She takes the basic cheesy stories and turns them into highly successful films such as Pretty Women or Notting Hill. While Julia is pretty successful when it comes to any drama film there is nothing better than when she is doing a romantic comedy. Here are her top romantic comedies. 

Eat Pray Love

The story is about Gilbert who is in a messy divorce. She tries to find herself as she takes an adventure around the world. As for it being a rom com with a few laughs. Julia Roberts killed this film as she portrays Gilbert with her natural charm.

Pretty Women

A sweet yet free spirited prostitute named Vivian Ward portrayed by Roberts. She runs into Edward Lewis (Richard Gere) who is a rich businessman who hires Vivian to be his escort for the week. Here comes the plot twist. They fall in love. Two completely different people with different backgrounds, but their chemistry was what brought them together. One of the greatest modern Rom Coms! 

Notting Hill

“What dreams are made of” literally who hasn’t dreamt about falling in love. Late 90s film stars an American movie star named Anna Scott (Roberts) walks into a bookstore located in London where she meets William Thacker (Hugh Grant) who is a heartthrob and king of romantic comedies especially in the 90s. Anna and William are two completely different people but they do say polar opposites do attract so they end up falling in love. Notting Hills is one for the books even better, the best line in cinematic history is when Anna States “I’m just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her”.

My Best Friend’s Wedding

The mid 90s Roberts made a comeback as an icon. She plays a food critic who after coming to realize that she has feelings for her best friend. Although when Roberts is asked to be the maid of honor she becomes very miserable but also very charming that it was hard not to hate her. My Best Friend’s Wedding is a chaotic film from beginning to end! This movie earns its place at the top of classic romantic comedies. 

From all her hard and successful works throughout the decade it is easy to say Julia Roberts is a queen of romantic comedies! Like I said, she is one of those actors that you cannot help, but fall in love with her charm and her glow make every movie she has ever played magical. Her magnetic energy shines bright throughout the films she is in. She is truly an Icon in cinematic history.

Kayla is currently a Senior at Lynn University majoring in Communications  with a focus on social media. Kayla spends a lot of her time participating in a variety of Lynn’s media outlets. Kayla has co hosted a weekly segment for the Lynn radio and for the past year has been a contributor on Her Campus Lynn social media and wrirting for the magazine.