Wellness

In Need of a Mental Break? Here’s Where to Start

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

In college you can get very carried away with taking on too much. You may not realize you’re doing too much until it is happening and you don’t even know where to start. When this happens the best thing is to not give up but rather get through it and the week. When the weekend comes this is when you can take a deep breath and feel relaxed and relieve  your stress. 

For me, I try to get all my work done during the week so that on the weekend I can have free time to do what I want to do without worrying about finishing school work or having any obligations. This may make your week feel more stressful but at least you have more freedom on the weekends. I encourage you to not only have fun on the weekends but also use it to your advantage to re-organize your life. 

For instance, on the weekends, I often like going to the beach with my friends, organizing my room and getting prepared for the new week. Specifically on a Sunday I try to plan and see what is going on in my week so that I feel less stressed. I also encourage taking time to be by yourself and to recenter your purpose and to remember what you were grateful for. By doing this you realize how far you have come and how capable you are of doing so much. 

By taking time to be by yourself and doing what you enjoy, it recharges your mental capacity and allows you to feel even more happy and grateful for life. For example, this past weekend I went to watch the sunrise by myself and did some journaling.  By doing this, I felt relieved from all that was going on around me and you are free of all the worries in the world that’s allowing you to realize the full purpose of life. 

This is just how I recharge my batteries when I have a very stressful week but I encourage you all to find what makes you feel the most calm and relaxed and a fine time on your weekend to do that activity to prepare you for the next week.    

Lauren is an international student majoring in Hospitality Management. She is a very interactive, positive and friendly young lady who always gives of her best. She always wears a smile on her face and tries brighten up everyone’s day. She is very passionate about her home country and educating many young people about her beloved country.