This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Starting a fitness journey can be intimidating and overwhelming. Some people like to go to the gym, their routines, and work at their own pace. I enjoy Fitness classes. Classes that you can do with friends and a coach pushes you to do your best. Many classes have a lot of excellent ratings, such as Soul Cycle and Pure Barre. A class I’ve tried and loved is Orangetheory  Fitness. There are so many Orangetheory studios in south Florida, so if you have been thinking about trying it, this is your sign. 

The membership I tried was eight classes a month, so I went two times a week. The class is an hour-long, and there are many available times to fit your schedule. There are many classes with all different coaches, each with a different style of coaching and pushing people to do their absolute best. I recommend getting one or two friends to join the session with you so that you can hold each other accountable to go every week. The class structure makes it genuinely feel like you’re working out for fun, and that is when the best results happen. 

Each class is an hour long and is broken down into three different groups. You have the choice to start on the treadmill, the rower, or the floor. You will hit each station so starting at a station you like the most is beneficial. I always loved starting on the treadmill because it got my heart rate going, and I tried my hardest because I had the most energy in the beginning. The whole class is based on the theory that if you work out for longer than 30 minutes in your “orange zone,” you will burn calories for up to 24 hours after the class. There are two other heart rate zones, red and green zones. As the class goes on, you can wear a heart rate monitor and see your progress on the screen. This is a perfect motivator because you can see other people in your class and how well they are doing through their workouts.  

Fitness classes can also feel intimidating because there are other people at different levels than you, but at Orangetheory, you are encouraged to work your best at the pace that fits you the best. The benefits that I gained from this membership were so beneficial to my physical health and my mental and emotional health. Working out and starting a fitness journey is a rewarding experience, and everyone should remember that everyone starts somewhere

My favorite part of Orangetheory classes was the feeling after you finish your workout. Dedicating an hour to yourself and feeling accomplished after is a great feeling. I always rewarded myself with a smoothie bowl or Starbucks after my workouts, and doing that for yourself is also a form of self-care.  

Joining a class or studio is a great place to start when starting a fitness journey, and remember that progress takes time and effort! Self-care can be seen in a wide variety of activities, and my experience with fitness classes was amazing. 

Hi, my name is Anabel and I’m a student at Lynn University. My major is social entrepreneurship with a minor in law and legal studies. I love going to the beach and spending time with friends. I joined her campus to meet new people and practice my writing and editorial skills.