This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

So, we all know how the tale goes: boy breaks other girl’s heart, girl cries and cries, girl hates herself and him and everyone around them, then girl comes back badder than ever. Or vice versa, or with whichever pronouns. We all have to figure out one way or another to make this person regret ever even meeting you. Well, now you’re about to learn how to get over a heartbreak, the latinx way. 

For having a latin family, I grew up with parents who actually wanted me to talk to them about my emotions and be open with them. I know a lot of my latinx people here can’t relate. However, just because they wanted me to talk about it, doesn’t mean they understood me. 

When a boy first broke my heart, I was 17. Two years ago, I felt like my whole world was falling apart for a boy I had fallen in love with who didn’t feel the same about me. I was a mess. My siblings and friends were all worried about me. I looked pale and sick, I wasn’t eating and I just felt like crying all the time. It felt like there was a hole in my chest and my heart was just clenching around nothing. 

It sucked, tremendously. My parents wondered why I was so affected, why it hurt me so much. I wasn’t with him for long, nor did I know him for years. But it hurt and I cried and it felt like my world was caving in on itself. 

Well, enough about how it felt. Now, here’s how I got over it:

Cry. It. Out. Scream it out. Literally just feel every single emotion you are feeling at that moment. Let yourself feel everything you need to feel for at most two days. If you need a bit more, that’s okay. But after you feel what you need to, call your friends and go out with them. Whether it’s to dinner, or to a club, or to a bar. It doesn’t matter as long as you’re with your friends or even with your family. 

Make yourself look the BEST you can. Curl your hair, put your makeup on, wear the clothes that make you feel the best about yourself. Make yourself look like the best you that you can. You’re still going to feel crappy on the inside, but you’re going to look amazing on the outside. You’re going to walk out of your house and you’re going to go meet your friends wherever you guys decide to go. You’re going to blast bad boss  music as you drive to the place and even though you’ll most likely feel like crying again, you’re going to scream those songs from the top of your lungs. 

These songs can include: Yo Perreo Sola by Bad Bunny, CHIMBITA by Feid & Sky, and Ain’t Sh*t by Doja Cat. Just blast your Bad B playlist and scream as loud as you can. If a couple tears fall down, that’s okay too. Preferably be in the car with your friend so they can tell you to stop crying and they can make a joke about it, and you’ll both laugh. 

You’re going to walk into the place you’re meeting your friends at with your head held high and your back straight. Your heels are going to click-clack like one of those bad-ass female leads in the movies, like Ocean’s Eight. You’re going to sit down and talk with your friends and distract yourself. If you’re at legal age, you’re going to drink your drinks and have fun with people you love. 

After this you will go home, you will eat your feelings out in food, and you will cry a little bit more. You’ll eat your parent’s homemade food that was made with love and you will probably hear your mom wondering who the heck is making so much noise in the kitchen at one in the morning, but it’s okay. You’re going to drink water, even if you don’t want to. You’re going to make yourself go out with your friends when you feel yourself spiraling, and you will go dance and have fun in some club that actually has good music, not just rap. 

And you’re going to repeat this process until you’re done feeling sad over this person. Throughout this, everyone will probably be asking why it’s taking you so long to get over him, or why you still care. Ignore them. Take your own time and tell everyone to go !@#% themselves. This is your time to heal so heal at your own pace. Let yourself be distracted and I promise, the light will show and your walk towards the end of the tunnel will end soon. 

Melissa is a freshman studying Social Entrepreneurship at Lynn University as a part of the Watson Institute. She loves to read, write, and listen to music. Her passion is helping people live better lives than they thought they would be able to. She would like to help others change their paths, as well as spread awareness about the severity of certain issues, like mental health. Her dream is to own her own businesses with a focus on resolving social issues, her mission area being human rights. She is extremely ambitious and determined to make it far. She's always ready to learn new things because she believes knowledge and wisdom are the greatest powers to possess.