Clueless
Clueless
Paramount Pictures / Designed by Elizabeth Berry
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How To Be The Perfect Matchmaker Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Every good friend wants their besties to be happy with the perfect boyfriend or girlfriend. Sometimes it takes a little bit of convincing to push a friend outside of their comfort zone and be open to finding the one. In the end, they will thank you. 

We want a love story for them and not anything less than that; that’s why we must have a plan. Coming up with a plan is not a one size that fits all. Each person is unique in their own way and has likes and dislikes. Some people are not the most outgoing and don’t want to jump in headfirst. That’s why I will have many different options for starting your match-making journey for your closest friends.  

First off, you must know your friend well enough and understand who they are to be the best matchmaker for them. Dating apps will be the central focus of this plan. Dating apps are one of the most popular ways to date nowadays, and if used correctly, you will have a lot of success for your best friend. Make sure to research each dating app and see the primary purpose for each one  and how they run; look at the reviews. Tinder could be an app for people who want a fling and a good time. Hinge could be a little different; and Bumble is also a great option. You want your friend to feel comfortable and excited to begin this journey that will change their life. So, pick two dating apps to download to start off. 

Help set up your friend’s profile. Make it cool yet authentic and exciting. Put their best foot forward and add in the best pictures of them. You may need to snap a few good pics for their profile. Please make sure there are no weird quotes, but none that make them come off as rude . Some friends may want you to take charge, and others may want you to be there for moral support and to get advice; whatever your friend may wish to, do what’s in their best interest.  

Once dating app profiles are set up, it’s time to swipe right or left and find some matches. Your friend may think they have a type, but make sure they keep an open mind because whatever they are doing hasn’t been working for them. That’s why you are giving them time to be their friend matchmaker, giving an outside perspective. So from a fellow matchmaker herself, you may have to be a bit pushy to friends and help them jump outside their comfort zone, have them swipe right on somebody they usually wouldn’t. If they get a match, give them advice on starting a casual conversation.  

Let them find their own  way; you are their friend matchmaker, so check up on them once they are all started. Make sure they aren’t giving up because they aren’t having luck. If they are not having good luck finding someone, they are doing something wrong, perhaps being too picky. Please encourage them to message someone and feel comfortable enough to FaceTime call and then go on a date.  

Once they go on dates, your job is done because there is no longer anything for you to do while they get to know people. They will see if they click with someone or not. Now, what’s left for you is to wish them the best of luck! Ensure you encourage them not to give up if a date doesn’t go as planned. 

Be their best cheerleader, advice giver and someone for them to run to, but most importantly root them on.

Ava Margolis grew up in New Jersey and now resides in South Florida. Margolis attends Lynn University where she studies Multimedia Journalism. Margolis plans to continue her education to become a therapist for children. She is outgoing, compassionate, and an adventurous person who loves sharing her passions with others.