Wellness > Health

How To Balance A Healthy Lifestyle As A College Student 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Being in college comes with more realizations than just the ones that come with assignments. Not only is this typically everyone’s first time being fully independent of themselves in terms of finances, work, and living away from home; But, for those who aren’t used to the fast-paced college life, self-care is sometimes the last thing on people’s minds. It isn’t easy to do a 4-hour workday that requires you to wake up at the crack of dawn, only to go to class after and get to bed late at night due to assignments and studying. This is especially true when pursuing a high-stress degree such as in STEM majors. Hopefully, this quick guide can give you the basic routine of staying healthy while in college. After all, how can you do good in school if your health is being neglected? Your health should always be your first priority since everything else will fall underneath it. 

1. Get A Good Night’s Sleep 

Depending on your schedule, this may be easier said than done. However, sleep hygiene is very important when it comes to your success in college. Your brain needs time to rest and store the information learned throughout the day. If getting eight hours of sleep sounds like too much of a stretch, you can try seeing if there’s something in your morning routine that can be done the night before. Try having breakfast prepared the night before, for an easy grab-n-go option. Having your bag packed is another way to save time. Maybe try doing your hair the night before so that will already be taken care of when you wake up.  

2. Eat Healthy Foods 

Yes. This is possible in college. You don’t need to fall victim to the freshman fifteen if you are careful enough. Many argue that since dining halls aren’t always healthy, they can’t do anything to stay healthy. Does your dining hall have fruit? Vegetables? Chicken? Well, there you go! A deliciously fresh chicken salad with a side of fruits. Take advantage of anything filled with proteins and fibers since these take longer for your body to digest, which means that you’ll be full for longer.  

3. Exercise 

You don’t need a gym subscription to exercise. What if I told you that you could exercise without even realizing it? Instead of taking the elevator, take the stairs. Instead of driving, take a walk (if possible). Take short walks throughout the day. Even walking to class is a good way to incorporate exercise into your daily routine. Try speed walking to get your heart rate up before sitting in a long lecture. All of these are simple, yet effective ways that you can be exercising when you don’t have time or money to spare. 

4. Take Breaks When Necessary 

While not always possible, it is important to take breaks when needed. It doesn’t have to be for a long time. Sometimes a ten-minute break away from your textbook can get you back on track. There’s no point in sitting there forcing yourself to read when none of the information is being absorbed. Instead of wasting time, take a short walk away from your desk or get something to drink while allowing your mind to reset. When you get back to your chair, you’ll realize that you’re much less stressed and more able to focus on what is necessary. 

Hopefully, these tips can make it easier to navigate a healthy life in college. Remember that your health should always be your top priority, and you’ll do much better when you feel good. Taking control of these things from the start definitely beats having to learn the hard way when your wellbeing takes a turn. No matter what anyone says, don’t believe the lie that dragging yourself from one stressor to the next should be the norm in college. While there will be stressful situations, having a healthy perspective and treating your body right will make college much more bearable in midst of all the chaos.

Rebecca is currently a sophomore studying Biology at Lynn University. She plans to continue her education and become a Neurologist. She is currently a Laboratory Intern conducting research with fellow students. Her passion is reaching out to those who need someone to hold onto. One day, she plans to have her own medical practice and do medical missions in underdeveloped countries. In her free time, Rebecca is most likely to be found practicing violin, in the ballet studio, or simply hanging out with friends!