Hot Take: There Is No Need to Get Dressed Up on a Daily Basis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

For me I am a very casual woman who does not like the fake lashes, neither the caked on face of makeup, or simply just getting dressed up every day. I am the type of woman to wear leggings or tights with a basic T-shirt and a pair of sneakers every day. In my household if I were to wear a pair of jeans it was considered fancy and I would only wear them if I was going to the city or going out for lunch or dinner. This is because I lived in a small farming town and I lived in sweatpants because they were so comfy. For me, I feel more comfortable and more myself without makeup on every day. But what I’m trying to say is everyone needs to do what makes them feel comfortable and makes them feel most like themselves. 

There is the stereotype that when you get dressed up and wear make up every day you’re trying to impress someone or be a person you’re not. From my perspective some people can be made fun of for dressing up on a daily basis but meanwhile this is what makes them feel comfortable. I have nothing against those who like to get dressed up and wear makeup every day (you go for it, girl!), but personally I cannot stand that and I simply don’t understand how other people can do that on a daily basis. I could be wrong here as I have a different fashion sense and what I wear I see as casual. What if another person is wearing something I can see as fancy while  they see it as casual, so therefore it is very tricky to mock people for how they dress. 

When I started University all that was in my mind was the stereotypes of American high schools from the movies of there being a mean girl who makes fun of every single girl and this was my biggest fear, being made fun of because I didn’t get dressed up. But I told myself from day one I’m going to be who I am and if I am myself from the very beginning people will know that this is me whereas if I got dressed up and then one day decided to stop people would not recognize me or think who is she really. 

I think there are many people out there who judge others based on how they dress and I find this terrible. To be honest, when I lived in my small farming town I wore the most horrendous clothes that did not match. I had zero fashion sense and even now I still think I lack a fashion sense. So wear what makes you happy as other people are more concerned about how they look.  

Lauren is an international student majoring in Hospitality Management. She is a very interactive, positive and friendly young lady who always gives of her best. She always wears a smile on her face and tries brighten up everyone’s day. She is very passionate about her home country and educating many young people about her beloved country.