Life > Experiences

Giving Thanks on a College Student Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

School break is around the corner, “Friendsgiving” is coming up… and you might be wondering what you can do with your friends or what should you get them to celebrate. Here are some ideas on how to give thanks to your friends who are always by your side on a college budget.

1. Write them a handwritten letter

A special handwritten letter by you shows how thankful you are for the friendship by displaying your feelings in a cute and creative way.

2. Plan a lunch or dinner where everyone gets something

You can plan with your friends that each person brings something different to the table. One person can bring the drinks, another person can bring the dessert, etc. This way, everything ends up being cheaper for everyone and everyone will end up getting the Thanksgiving dinner vibe.

3. Exchange gifts like the game “Secret Santa”

First – get a group of friends.

Second – you will write everyone’s names and fold the papers.

Third – everyone picks a name and they do not share that name. That is your “secret angel”.

As a group, decide on a maximum budget for the prizes! Finally, get your chosen friend or “secret angel” a nice little gift.

4. Decide to do something locally

Do something locally! It can be things such as going to the park, to the beach, to the movies, to a restaurant, attending a concert or an upcoming event. It can literally be anything! You do not have to go far or spend a lot of money to have a good time with your friends. Spending time together is essential to showing each other how thankful you are of being friends.

5. Just grab a coffee together

This can be done at school, anytime, like right now. Go and spend time with your loved ones, and show them how much you appreciate them.

Cruz is the Recruitment Director and part of the Social Media Staff of Her Campus at Lynn University. She is a senior, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Exceptional Student Education and Social Impact & Justice. She was born and raised in the Dominican Republic, but she decided to go to the United States to pursue higher education and become more independent by leaving all of her family back home. Cruz has a passion in women's issues and women empowerment. She loves spending time with her new Cocker Spaniel and watching movies with loved ones. Finally, she is also the Program Coordinator of the Psi Chi chapter at Lynn.