This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Before the summer break came we were all used to having a strict routine of going to class, hanging out with friends, and doing schoolwork. The summer came along and maybe some of us felt lost without the routine, even though this was the time to relax and forget about all the stress that college has on us. But maybe some of you, you were able to completely forget about your normal routine right away.

For me it was rather difficult to go from being busy and knowing what I was doing to completely switching off and having my mind at ease and to relax over the summer.  But eventually I managed to relax and switch my mind off from all the stress. For me I thought 3 1/2 months is a long break of not doing much. So for the first half of the summer I completed my internship and for the second half I went back home to South Africa. Personally this worked best for me as I had about seven weeks at home, this was a perfect amount of time for me to take a break and relax as I think I would’ve gone insane with doing nothing for the last 3 1/2 months.

But like all summers and vacations they come to an end and it was time to come back to college. This was also hard and emotional as I was leaving South Africa but I was also excited as I was coming back to a routine and knew I would be busy again. At first it took a while to adjust my internal clock and get used to waking up earlier, managing the workload as well as managing time to hang out with my friends. It’s truly how fast time flies when you are busy!

I would definitely recommend that after having such a long break that we ease back into our routine slowly. Don’t take on too much at the beginning as you need to find your footing, see how you are managing your class before you decide to take on more. By doing this you can figure out what you are truly capable of and if you start off slow it is more manageable.

I hope all of you are enjoying being back into your routine and enjoying the new year at college. Everyone’s routine is different and it’s okay if you don’t always stick to your routine but it is important to have something to look forward to each day.

Lauren is an international student majoring in Hospitality Management. She is a very interactive, positive and friendly young lady who always gives of her best. She always wears a smile on her face and tries brighten up everyone’s day. She is very passionate about her home country and educating many young people about her beloved country.