This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

It is when bright yellow days shade themselves amber. Blue skies turn gray and your colleague’s coffee starts smelling of pumpkin spice. It is when every home has an undertone waft of cinnamon to it and people in sweaters start making appearances on the street. When hot chocolate seems more tempting than iced frappuccino while cozying up in front of your screen for another rewatch of Gilmore Girls. October is upon us and I, as a devoted bookworm, am ready to sacrifice my nights and embrace dark circles underneath my eyes as I go through my novels, absorbing that cozy yet chilly autumnal energy. Before beginning my journey, it seemed to me that it was my duty to contribute to the overflowing fall-reads recommendations made in early October. Hence, here we are. 

1. Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman 

When your fantasy-lover spirit wants to run wild into the spooky season, Good Omens is a great book to pick. The dynamic of the two main characters, who happen to be an angel and a demon, is humorous, captivating, and quotable. They make an unlikely duo, which keeps you entertained throughout the story. The Good Omens universe is well-built. The story does a great job describing its supernatural elements like heaven or hell. It has visual gags  to keep the readers’ interest gripped while getting the point across. An apocalyptic comedy and fantasy, the plot of the story is only enhanced by the writing and gets more and more enjoyable as it unfolds. It is a fun, satirical read to enjoy on a cool fall day. 

(TW: blood, car accident, childbirth, death, F-slurs, famine, fatphobia, homophobia, racism/appropriation, violence) 

2. Big Swiss by Jen Beagin 

If you are looking to read a comedy that is darker and kind of eccentric rather than lighthearted and sarcastic, this is your pick. The story revolves around a sex therapist and her patient, and if you are expecting your blueprint trauma plot, that is burdened with grief and turmoil, and bleak and miserable, then you are in the wrong place. The story presents two women with opposing trauma-coping mechanisms and the clash between their perspectives. The story takes you into a wacky roller-coaster insight, seduction, traumatic experiences, deception, etc. Should real-life obsession cross into professional life, this outlandish story shall be the result. It gets into queer longing, unusual therapy settings, and coping with impacting incidences. It is sardonic, sly, smart, and sexy. 

(TW: abuse, assault, suicidal thoughts and ideation, mental illness, graphic sex)

3. What Moves The Dead by T. Kingfisher

This one is for those who are aiming to capture Edgar Allan Poe vibes. It is for those goth girls and those dark academic girls. It is a retelling of Poe’s short story, “The Fall of the House of Usher” with a non-binary protagonist and increased uncanniness in the plot and the plot-telling. It is a sci-fi horror with mushrooms, scientific explorations, bunnies, and what can be best described as ‘a mansion that hates its residents’. The protagonist returns to their childhood home after learning that one of their friends is severely sick and possibly dying. The story starts unfolding to its fullest after that in a blend of humor, dread, biting wit, and body horror. The protagonist is determined to investigate the weird and terrifying disease that has plagued their friend. It is an unnerving and horrifying page-turner. It sets a perfect segue to get into the true Halloween spirit! 

(TW: alcohol abuse, body horror, gore, death, misgendering suggested amputation and suicide)

4. The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches by Sangu Mandanna

Going back towards the light after two dark fantasy recommendations, I would like to recommend this very cozy, found family story. With the grumpy/sunshine trope and all things witchy, this story explores love, kindness and, acceptance. It is a delightful and heartwarming romantic comedy. The protagonist is a member of a society of witches in Britain. According to the rules of the leader of their little group, they are supposed to live in solitude and in complete isolation from the world. However, our protagonist loves sharing quips about her life as a ‘pretend’ witch on social media. But does no one ever believe that she truly is a witch? What would happen if somebody did? 

This wonderful story is best read with a warm blanket, a cuddly animal, and a hot cup of whatever beverage you like the best. The character growth of the protagonist, the unique, warm, and dynamic supporting characters, the well-written, but not overdone romance, and especially the comforting, cottage-core aesthetic of ‘Norfolk’, that is, the place of the story’s setting, are all some of the many factors why this is one of the coziest fall reads. 

(TW: swearing, sex, references to racism and homophobia) 

5. Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas 

Coming up with another paranormal, magic-filled YA fiction with endearing characters, I recommend Cemetery Boys. The world and the characters created and introduced in the book are well-written in the sense that they feel realized. The story has a strong opening and if you like protagonists who stand up to their families and prove their worth, this is for you. Especially, if it is a transgender protagonist, feeling like an outcast in his own family. This book is absolutely beautiful and has the potential to touch your soul. It inspires you to be yourself. It has a slow-burn romance story and friendship dynamics that are heartwarming to watch. The plot will have a definite chokehold on you. The supernatural elements of ghost-summoning and witchcraft also match with a cozy, kind-of spooky pre-Halloween energy. 

(TW: Transphobia, death)

Vishwa is a freshman at Lynn University with psychology major. She loves writing, poetry and long walks on a beach on breezy days! She has an intense passion to learn about different kinds of art and artists. Her idea of a good day involves, catching up on readings, spending with her friends, and having long meaningful conversations. Her passions and hopes for the future drives her spirit.