AppleEmploy Hero PAID R2 Hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
AppleEmploy Hero PAID R2 Hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career > Her20s

Creating a Winning Resume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Whether you are just starting your college journey or have been there for a little while, you must begin building your resume. A resume is what represents you, it is your page of life, and it is what will make you stand out from others and take you to incredible opportunities. This is your sign; start popping that resume with these fantastic tips!

Concise Your Information

It is first essential that you don’t include every single experience you had. Think of this as if you were selling yourself; what kind of opportunities will the employer seek? Include those. Highlight the skills relevant to the job you are applying to.

Organize It Correctly

Try to keep your resume one page only. Remember, you don’t want to include everything and have to make it concise. It is also important that you organize your resume in reverse chronological order (present to oldest).

Layout/Design

Keep it simple! Focus on readability and keep your point sizes between 10 to 12. You can vary depending on the title, headings, and body text. Also, use a basic but formal font such as Arial, Helvetica, and others.

Don’t Include The Short Term Jobs

Don’t consider including non-temporary jobs you have been doing just for a couple of months. However, if you decide to include it, keep in mind that you have been honest about that experience if an interviewer asks you. Keep in mind that this doesn’t count for summer internships. If you did an amazing internship during the summer, definitely include it!

Ask Someone For Help

After you have your resume done and you have proofread it, look for help. Ask a professional to go through it. This can be your mentor, professor, or even a career advisor from your university. Since they have more experience, they will guide you in the right direction.

Constantly Update It 

As time passes, life keeps changing. Perhaps you have new experiences, skills, or leadership activities. When you have your resume up to date, you will be ready to submit it to new opportunities.

Make sure you are crafting a winning resume that will take you to the next level. Constantly take new responsibilities and push yourself to have plenty of experiences and skills you can include in your resume. Go and get that job!

Cinthia is a Sophomore at Lynn University majoring in Graphic Design. Originally from Nicaragua, Cinthia decided to study in the United States while remaining in close proximity to her native country; thus, she chose to pursue her education in Florida. In the future, she aims to represent the visual identity of different brands and organizations. Besides her academic interests, Cinthia enjoys photography and hanging out with friends.