This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

The long list of reasons including the biodiversity, great foods, and many talents Colombia has to offer will make it your next travel destination

It is pretty common for people to confuse the Columbia brand or the City of Columbia with the country of Colombia, which are three totally different things. One “Columbia” is a sportswear company, and the other one “City of Columbia” is a city in South Carolina. Colombia is a country located in South America with a population of 51.52 million. Its official language is Spanish, it borders the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, and holds the second highest level of biodiversity in the world. After hearing all of this, I am guessing that you could be thinking, but what is so special about it? Well, this article is going to try to explain it at its best. 

Coming from a Colombian perspective, I would say the country has a lot to offer, from traveling activities to good food, good hospitality coming from its citizens and companies, among other factors. The only issue that it may have is security. Sadly it characterizes itself for a long history of violence and insecurity. However, that did not stop many talents and natural touristic activities to persist.

1. Home country of multiple talents

Many people do not know this, but many successful Latin celebrities come from Colombia. From high-ranked actresses like Sofia Vergara, to talented musical artists like Shakira, J Balvin, Maluma, Carlos Vives, Colombia is the cradle of many talents. Even Disney made a movie that was inspired by its culture. This movie is called Encanto (2021) and it told the story of an extraordinary family that lived in the mountains of Colombia, the main character, Mirabel is trying to find its unique gift while solving the mystery of the endangered magic that surrounds her family. This movie won an Academy Award for Best Animated Feature Film and has been known because of its popular song “We don’t Talk About Bruno”. This and many other pieces are an example of the talent that can be found in Colombia.

1. Great food

Another talent this country has is the diverse gastronomy. Colombia’s cuisine is influenced by Spanish, African, Indigenous Colombian, and a little Arabic cuisine. The nation contains a wide variety of ingredients, containing plantain, rice, and beans. Its most common typical dishes are “Ajiaco” which is a soup that contains chicken breast and potatoes, “Bandeja Paisa” which is a plate full of beans, an arepa, beans, plantains, avocado, white rice, and chicharrón.

1. Biodiversity

Colombia is ranked among the 12 most biodiverse countries in the world, with more than 1,920 species living in it. It contains rainforests such as the famous Amazon, deserts, badlands, and much more, for which tourists love to see its landscapes. Even though you may not hear so much about this country, it has multiple things to offer. It could be your next travel destination, whereyou could enjoy the great landscapes, the food, and go on tourist activities that will make you love the country and its people.

This is Sofia and she is from Colombia. She is a sophomore who is double majoring in Criminal Justice and International Business with a dream of going to law school. She loves to read, work out, watch movies, and travel. Blue is her favorite color, and a fun fact about Sofia is that she loves chocolate!