This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Are you the person who is always putting the needs and desires of others before your own? Do you find it challenging to say no, even when it brings issues to you or goes against your own wishes? If this sounds like you, you might be a people pleaser. While still being considerate to others and their feelings, excessive people-pleasing can lead to stress, anxiety, and a lower self-image. But when you recognize and address this behavior, you can pave the way to a happier and more fulfilled life. 

Signs You’re a People Pleaser

1. Constant Approval Seeking: If you are a person who often seeks validation and reassurance from others, that may be a sign. This can further display a relentless need for praise and affirmation. 

2. Difficult Saying No: Are you the person who is never able to say no when you’re not really interested? People pleasers usually prioritize others’ requests at the expense of their own feelings and well-being. 

3. Ignoring Your Own Needs: Neglecting your own needs, feelings, and desires to accommodate others is a common trait among people pleasers. You might find yourself feeling tired and unfilled as a result. 

4. Fear of Conflict: People pleasers usually try to avoid confrontation at all costs. They would rather put their own emotions at risk than speak up when they feel like their boundaries are crossed and their feelings are hurt. 

5. Over-Apologizing: If you find yourself always saying sorry, even for things that are not your fault, it may be a sign that you are trying too hard to please others.

Tips for Handling People Pleasing

1. Self-awareness: Recognizing you have a pattern of pleasing people is the first step to solving it. Reflect on your behaviors/ patterns to gain insights into why you feel this way and the feeling of needing to prioritize others over yourself. 

2. Set Boundaries: Establishing clear and healthy boundaries is again essential for your own well-being. Learning to say no when necessary and communicating those feelings and limits to others will help tremendously. 

3. Prioritize Self-Care: Making self-care a non-negotiable within your everyday lifestyle is another tip. Taking time for yourself, physically and mentally, is essential to a healthy sense of self. 

4. Practice Assertiveness: It’s okay to communicate your feelings, thoughts, and preferences. Practicing this communication to express yourself is another great tip.

5. Seek Support: Talk to friends and family about your behavior patterns. They can provide insights and support as you work on breaking this habitat.

Breaking free from pleasing people is a liberating experience that can lead to a happier and healthier version of you. By recognizing these tendencies and implementing these tips, you can regain control over your choices, prioritize your well-being, and build more meaningful relationships. Always remember that your happiness is worth prioritizing, and it starts with learning to be true to yourself.

McKenzie is a junior at Lynn University. She is currently studying Data Analytics at Lynn University and has a dream of working for a Big Four consulting firm. McKenzie has a huge passion for travel, trying new foods, and meeting new friends along the way. McKenzie's favorite country she has visited so far is either Italy or Greece, and her favorite food is sushi.