Best Starbucks Drinks For Alternative Milk Lovers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Starbucks of course is a popular spot to get a cup of coffee or tea and hang out with friends. Over the years, there have been new trendy drinks for people to try and get excited about when a new one is released. As a part of this, Starbucks has been releasing drinks with almond milk, coconut milk, and oat milk for those who may be allergic to normal dairy. Alternative milks have already been popular for a few years now. I personally love them in my coffee and tea because I think it makes the consistency of the drink itself a little different and can sometimes add it’s own flavor. I love all three but if I had to choose one I would choose almond milk because I drink it the most. Here are 6 drinks you should try next time you are on your coffee run!   

1. Iced Sugar Cookie Almond Milk Latte 

I have mentioned this one before in a past article, but I just couldn’t resist talking about it again. Released in 2021, this is a seasonal drink you can find around the holidays. I love it because of the flavor it brings to the drink and I actually think that the almond milk keeps the ice from melting as quickly. It’s sweet and it really does taste like sugar cookies! It is topped off with green and red sugar sprinkles. Next Christmas, give this one a try!

2. Iced Chocolate Almond Milk Shaken Espresso 

I personally love the Almond Milk Shaken Espresso because of the flavor. It’s one of my go-to’s when I am in the mood for something stronger than a regular cup of coffee. I also think the fact that it is shaken and not made regularly adds a twist. The combination of the chocolate flavor and the consistency of the almond milk really makes a great pairing. If you like espresso, I recommend this one for you! 

3. Oat Milk Chai Tea Latte

While doing research for this article, I learned that oat milk is great for just any coffee drink. While it can make it special, like almond milk, oat milk can be added to spice up any kind of drink. These include more of the simpler drinks as well. For example, oat milk can be added to your typical chai tea latte. I usually get more of the popular drinks with oat milk in them at starbucks but use oat milk coffee creamer at home. Both are great options, do whatever works for you! 

4. Strawberry and Vanilla Oat Milk Latte

I had never heard of this drink and thought I should add it to the list. It is a blonde espresso and has flavors of both strawberry and vanilla, and of course has oat milk in it. It is also then topped with a layer of foam and strawberry topping. If you don’t know what blonde espresso is, according to Chaitelaine.com it is “a lighter roast made from Latin American and East African coffee beans” (Grief, 2018). I have never tried a “blonde espresso” drink myself but it sounds good. Give it a try for yourself! 

5. Dragon Drink 

The Dragon Drink is similar to the Mango Dragon Fruit Refresher. The only difference is that it is made with coconut milk. It includes flavors of mango and dragon fruit, and is even topped with pieces of freeze-dried dragon fruit. While this is a popular drink, I haven’t had it that often. I think it is very good, however I prefer the “refresher” drinks with lemonade. I wanted to include this one for those who don’t drink coffee or want something fun to try instead. 

6. Iced Coconut Mocha Macchiato

When doing research for this one, I didn’t find much. From what I am reading, it is just a typical macchiato but with mocha flavor and made with coconut milk. This isn’t a specialty drink, this is just one thing that you can get throughout the year. If you like these flavors, then this one’s for you! 

Lily de Rooij is a senior this year at Lynn University. She love the connections and memories she has been able to make throughout the years here at HC. Her favorite part about being on the team, is coming up with new social media ideas and posts.