Behind the Board: Inside the Teacher’s World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Teachers wear many hats in a day, and provide a service which is essential for many of the other careers in society. The basics of writing, math, and communication are taught in a classroom. Granted, some people believe to learn better from life experiences than at an institutionalized education, where the basics are taught at the primary level. Basic math skills are taught in school, and later applied through life experience. Of course, there are a few exceptions to the rule like Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, etc.; even the most successful entrepreneurs had some form of education. For the most part, teachers in the US are underpaid tremendously and often are seen as just a face behind a desk or another pawn in the school team. It is true that to be an educator you have to have passion, because you certainly are not in it for the money, but to what extent does the work pay off? 

Yes, working with children and making a difference in society is rewarding. The lives of many children are impacted by an educator they remember (good or bad), and sometimes teachers get the recognition they deserve in the district. Teacher makes “X amount of money for this particular school district or teachers raise scores by X amount”. Teachers risk their lives everyday because their sole priority is to ensure that their students are safe and receiving the education that is being promised. It is unfair to mask the identity of hardworking teachers, and they should be recognized as more than just the face behind the desk. 

“The best teachers are those who tell you where to look, but don’t tell you what to see.”— Alexandra K. Trenfor

Teachers are often underpaid compared to individuals in many other fields, and studies show that paying teachers a higher salary improves their overall performance. A study done by the equity project states, what is clear is that higher teacher pay for great teachers may be a relatively simple solution to add to the mix in the complicated debate over school reform.

When teachers are compensated for their hard work, overall test scores improve. Personally, I am following this career path myself; it is my belief, that those in the educational field sacrifice so much to give back to society, and often these sacrifices are overlooked. Educators risk their lives to protect students each and everyday as well as foster their worldly knowledge. 

In an article by Fast Company (Leber, 2014) writes:

So often the question is asked: if high-quality teachers are so valuable, why don’t we pay them more? If even first-year doctors, lawyers, investment bankers, and programmers can pull in more than $100,000, why are experienced teachers in the nation’s most expensive city to live only paid between $64,000 and $76,000?

Jessica Leber

The city being referred to here is Manhattan, New York. In Florida, and in many other states, teachers struggle to make a living. There would be no doctors or lawyers without the fundamental skills taught in education. Schools teach values which lay down foundational skills for life, and yet the individuals in this industry are paid less than the professions that rely on these fundamental abilities.

Nelson Mandela once said, “education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the world.” If this is true, why is the importance of teachers services being undermined? It is unjust to benefit from jobs that would not be possible without education, and teacher’s sit on the sidelines making a difference without the necessary funds and means to do so and support their livelihoods.

Andrea Sofia Berman is a creative writer and Education major. She is passionate about children and helping people. She loves to use creativity to express herself, and hopes to spread positivity through writing.