Wellness

5 Ways Nature Can Relieve Your Stress During the Last Hectic Week of Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

The spring semester is almost done; just a few more short weeks. With final projects and papers coming so fast, your stress levels are probably ultra-high. Interestingly enough, studies show significant improvements in health and a better quality of life using nature to our advantage. The sun, ocean, fruits, sounds in nature, and darkness will benefit you going into the last week of class or stressful days, so keep reading.  

Take a Walk and Get a Better Sleep  

Yes, you heard that right. Going for a walk with the sun shining down on your body will improve your sleep, which is essential with a hectic, busy few weeks of classes. You may ask: how is this possible? The sun is a natural inhibitor of Vitamin D, which is essential for your body. A fair amount of sunlight boosts your melatonin levels, which is the hormone needed for your sleep cycle, leading you to a more sound rest at night, which is precisely what you need—so take a walk in the sun! 

Swim in the Ocean and Clear Your Skin 

So much stress can cause so much acne. You have probably heard people complain about breaking out at stressful times, or maybe you have experienced it first hand. Living in Florida, where there is easy access to the beach the salt water can be a great natural acne healer. Many vitamins are found in the sea, like magnesium, potassium, and minerals beneficial to your skin. Swimming underwater or splashing saltwater on your face will help reduce the bacteria that create acne and skin infections. With this little bit of information, the beach sounds like an excellent plan right now. One more stressor is not needed; take a twenty minute break and take a quick swim in the ocean; you won’t regret it and will feel refreshed.  

Citrus Fruit and Strawberries Help Reduce Stress

Strawberries seem to be everybody’s favorite fruit, and citrus fruit is always seen in the morning, like oranges and grapefruits. Did you know that simply enjoying a juicy strawberry or a bright orange helps reduce your stress? Vitamin C is seen in these foods, is essential in your diet, and helps relieve stress. Put your mind at ease and have a fruitful breakfast today. 

Sounds of Nature Will Help Your Mood 

We have talked not only about stress and how to reduce it, but about how to have a mood booster. As silly as it may sound, sounds of nature may boost your mood. Sounds like wind, rain, insects, thunder, and other sounds heard in spirit can relax your mind, take away annoyance you may have, and serve as a guide  to a more centered you. Rain puts babies to sleep, so there has to be truth in the study. While there is still ongoing research, go try sitting at your local park or just outside your home and listening to nature’s natural sounds, it may help you more than you think. 

Relay this information to a friend, be your best you, and go for a walk on the beach with someone just as loaded with work as you. It will increase your sun exposure with a swim in the salt water and clear you’re acne. Listen to the waves and ease your mind, body, and soul. An hour is all it takes. A nice break from studies will help you give the best you can for the closing weeks of classes. 

Ava Margolis grew up in New Jersey and now resides in South Florida. Margolis attends Lynn University where she studies Multimedia Journalism. Margolis plans to continue her education to become a therapist for children. She is outgoing, compassionate, and an adventurous person who loves sharing her passions with others.