This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

So we all know the saying new year, new me. But that doesn’t mean you have to change because cause the calendar moved a year forward. The days building up to New Year’s Eve we tend to think about what this year’s new visitations are going to be, or what we want to achieve in the year ahead. But if I’m being honest I’m not the type of person to write down my resolutions and honestly follow them through. I used to always make resolutions as I just thought it was something we all did but the last few years I haven’t even bothered myself with resolutions but something more meaningful to me.

Some people have it within them to stay by the resolutions and meet those goals whereas others just find it entertaining to state but they want it from me not necessarily reaching my resolutions. I realized I’m setting myself goals that at this point in time I cannot reach which is OK so instead I just tell myself that this year is gonna be what I make of it, I can go backwards and be the person I was a few years ago, I could stay where I am or I can grow and push myself a little bit further out my comfort zone. I tend to do the third option! I believe the third option is the best because every day we are learning something new about ourselves or our surroundings therefore we’re taking a step out of our comfort zone every time we go out and do something. If we had to look at where we were a year ago the chances are we’ve grown up in some aspect in life and I feel like you’re really going by this time next year you would’ve learned something completely new.

I have become a person who is not afraid of judgment, what you cannot hear cannot hurt you, be the person you want to be, do what you want to do. We tend to compare our lives to other people but in order for us to stop doing that we have to start doing what we want to do to be happy. I go into each new year with the mindset of putting myself first, my well-being, achieving what I know I’m capable of achieving and whenever I get the opportunity to slightly push myself further and further out of my comfort zone. I honestly believe that they are putting the label “goal” on something it starts to become much more difficult to achieve. So my best advice is to let go of the tension within your body and let nature choose what’s best for you.

This relieves the stress of feeling is that you have not achieved something, but keeping it informal and not tracking your goals when the end of the year comes and you look back you will see how much you truly have achieved! 

Lauren is an international student majoring in Hospitality Management. She is a very interactive, positive and friendly young lady who always gives of her best. She always wears a smile on her face and tries brighten up everyone’s day. She is very passionate about her home country and educating many young people about her beloved country.