Life > Experiences

What do You Really Need Moving Across the Country for College?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

I moved 1,740 miles, or halfway across the country for college- from Colorado to Maryland. To let you in on a little secret, I had no idea how and what to pack.  

  There are many articles on “what to pack for your first year of college,” but there weren’t many articles on “what to expect when you move across the country for college.” I am writing this to share what I have learned from moving halfway across the country. 

1. Less is more.  

There will always be a store in your area to purchase items. Packing less and buying nonessential things when you arrive is easier and can help save on shipping costs. Therefore, you are not stuck in a position of having too many nonessentials in your room. I was in that position for my first semester, but when winter break rolled around I did a huge clean out to take items home.  

1. Do your research.  

This one is hard. It can be difficult to pre-educate yourself on the location that you are moving to, unless you are familiar with the state or have visited. I moved to Maryland with no idea of the weather or social environment. I did a lot of quick learning through the first couple of months of college and learned something everyday. Make sure you properly pack for the climate that you will be living in. Layers are key. Embrace all new things you experience.  

1. Bring your comfort items.   

Integrating yourself into a new location, no matter if you are 5 miles or 5000 miles from your safe space, is hard. I have found having comfort items from your safe space makes the transition smoother. Whether that is your favorite hat, shirt, stuffed animal or décor, bring it. You are going to want a reminder of the comfort you had back home.  

1. Fashion smart  

I am a fashion girly, I will admit, but in college, the closet tends to not be as big as a standard closet and you don’t need that many clothes. I brought way too many clothes, and too many clothes for the wrong season. I learned that I did not have enough winter clothes, which is ironic. I did figure out that being fashion smart– layering trendy pieces with basics is the key. Organizational storage is helpful but you still only want your very favorite items of clothing with you for the seasons. 

This being said, please know that it will work out with just a few easy steps! Trust the process and be open minded.  Embrace everything that is new, and don’t worry about your stuff, focus on your experiences in this new home. 

Sydney is a sophomore at LUM and is majoring in Data Science with a minor in Mathematics. She is from Denver, Colorado. During her free time, she enjoys hanging out with friends, exploring and having new adventures, and being active. Some of her favorite activities are dancing with the LUM Dance Company, scuba diving, hiking, skiing, and running. She loves trying new restaurants, eating good food, going to concerts and museums.