Wellness

TikTok skincare trends: should we trust them?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

If you’ve ever fallen down the TikTok rabbit hole during when you should’ve been doing something productive, then you’ve likely ended up on SkinTok. SkinTok is the side of TikTok for all things beauty and skincare. From pimple popping videos, to clean girl makeup looks, to Skincare by Hyram, SkinTok has been the place to go for the latest beauty trends.

Although TikTok is full of outrageous wellness advice, occasionally certain trends go viral and introduce us to tips that feel genuinely helpful. Two of which I can definitely get behind are slugging and skin cycling.

Slugging, although not as new of a trend, stood out the most when people wanted glowy and clear skin. Slugging is a skincare trend which includes coating your face in petroleum gel or Vaseline as the last step to your skincare routine. It is meant to keep your skin moisturized and is best for dry skin types.The catchy term came from the way it makes your skin look as slimy as a slug. And while it doesn’t involve putting actual slugs on your face, it sure might feel like it. The hashtag #slugging has 498.4 million views on TikTok as of recently.The petroleum jelly allows your skin to repair itself, but a little goes a long way. Slugging doesn’t require much petroleum jelly, a pea-size portion for your entire face should suffice.

However, although petroleum jelly is non-comedogenic, meaning it doesn’t clog pores, if you have clogged pores already or retained makeup, you could create an infection or outbreak by trapping dirt particles under it. Experts advise cleaning the skin thoroughly, before continuing with the rest of your skincare routine and the jelly.

Another trend that has reached significant popularity is skin cycling. Skin cycling is a skincare method recently popularized by Dr. Whitney Bowe, a New York based dermatologist and the founder of Dr. Whitney Bowe Beauty. The hashtag #skincycling currently has 117.7million views on TikTok. The night-time skin routine cycle must be performed at night because exfoliants and retinoids make your skin sensitive to sun exposure. It is a four-night cycling regimen that alternates between using active ingredients and giving your skin a rest.

It is advised to cleanse your face first for a clean base before the active ingredients are applied. The cycle schedule consists of exfoliation night, retinoid night, and two days of “rest”that only require you to use a moisturizer, and then repeat. It is meant to get the most out of the active ingredients in your skincare products while minimizing irritation. Skin cycling can be effective because it allows your face a chance to heal in between treatments and doesn’t require you to pile on treatments over another.

Although slugging and skin cycling are two of the more credible beauty trends on TikTok, it is encouraged to do your own research on both trends and any others before trying them out on yourself. What works for one person may not work for another!

Loyola University Maryland '23