Thirteen Taylor Swift Lyrics You Might Need To Hear Today

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

Whenever someone tells me that they’re not a fan of Taylor Swift, my response is, “you just haven’t heard the right song yet.” I say this because across Taylor’s ten albums, (two of which have been rerecorded and updated with “From the Vault” tracks), contributions to movie soundtracks, and countless collaborations and singles, she has over 200 published songs, meaning that if you listen to all (or even half), you’re bound to find something you like. But another beauty of having such an extensive discography is that she’s written many songs reflecting on her past, leading to wise lyrics coming from looking back on her experiences. So here are thirteen of Taylor’s wisest musings, that serve as reminders you may need to hear right now.

1. “Sometimes giving up is the strong thing, sometimes to run is the brave thing, sometimes walking out is the one thing that will find you the right thing” – It’s Time To Go, Evermore

It’s okay to let go. Sometimes, leaving a situation, place or person that doesn’t serve you anymore isn’t a weakness, but shows courage in realizing that you can walk away.

1. “I could build a castle out of all the bricks they threw at me” – New Romantics, 1989

At some point, you learn that you can’t control how others treat you or what life brings your way. So the ball ends up in your court: you can let it break you, or you can build something beautiful out of the challenges.

1. “You are what you love” –Daylight, Lover

Often, we define ourselves by what we think we lack, our insecurities, and our shortcomings. But it’s a much more accurate representation of a person to define them by their passions, what brings them joy, and what they love.

1. “And I thought that it would kill me, but it didn’t” – I Forgot That You Existed, Lover

This lyric came into my brain after a recent therapy session. I said to my therapist, “I feel like this is just going to hurt forever.” My therapist responded, “do you realize you said that about…?” and mentioned something from a year ago that never crosses my mind anymore. You grow, you change, and you make it through, even when it feels like you won’t.

1. “What’s a girl gonna do? A diamond’s gotta shine” – Bejeweled, Midnights

This one is simple and to the point, yet one of the most empowering lyrics in the album Midnights. You are beautiful, and beautiful things have to shine. It’s just in your nature.

1. “Just because you’re clean don’t mean you don’t miss it” – Clean, 1989

In your life, you will leave or you will lose things that weren’t good for you. Then, when you miss them, or grieve something that wasn’t wholly good, you feel like a failure; like you’re not stronger from the experience. But this lyric recognizes that you can be better and stronger for losing something…and also be human enough to feel your loss.

1. “May these memories break our fall” – Long Live, Speak Now

Memories, especially when we look back on college, will be more precious than anything else. While it’s important to work hard, to study, and to do your best for success in other areas of your life, creating happiness with the people around you should always be a part of your day.

1. “He didn’t like it when I wore high heels, but I do” – Begin Again, Red (Taylor’s Version)

Another beautifully simple lyric with such an important message: your opinion of yourself, and the things you love, are paramount to anyone else’s feelings on the matter.

1. “People like you always want back the love they’ve pushed aside, but people like me are gone forever when you say goodbye” – All You Had To Do Was Stay, 1989

This lyric reminds me that my love, what I bring to my friendships, relationships, etc. is unique and special, and that I don’t always have to give it so freely. When someone rejects your love, you don’t need to give it again so easily if they ask for it back.

1. “I don’t need your closure” – Closure, Evermore

I recently read a book with the quote: “I think, if closure exists, it’s being okay with a lack of it.” Closure can be healthy and necessary in some cases, but in other cases, you realize you have to move on without ever getting it. And that’s okay. Not having all the answers or not having a bow on top of a messy situation doesn’t mean you can’t move on.

1. “I lived, and I learned, and I found what it was to turn around and see that we were never really meant to be” – You All Over Me, Fearless (Taylor’s Version)

This lyric, like so many of Taylor’s, reminds you that while you may not understand what went wrong originally, you live, learn, look back, and see things more clearly in the rearview mirror.

1. “The only one who doesn’t see your beauty, is the face in the mirror looking back at you” – Tied Together With a Smile, Taylor Swift

You forget that you’re your own harshest critic. We tend to see ourselves in the most negative light, but look at other people as perfect; ironically, those same other people are romanticizing you while struggling with their own self image.

1. “I’ve learned time can heal most anything and you just might find who you’re supposed to be” – Fifteen, Fearless (Taylor’s Version)

If there’s anything certain in this world, it’s that things get better with time. Taylor illustrates this beautifully by adding that while you put distance between you and your hurt, you’re going to grow into what you were meant to become.

Molly is a first-year at Loyola pursing a double major in English and Political Science. You can usually find her on her laptop at Starbucks, taking a spin class with GroupX, or on the Humanities porch with a book. Molly finds her joy in her gel pens, Taylor Swift playlists, strawberry acai lemonades, romcoms, and her golden doodle.