Style > Fashion

Somewhere in Northern Italy: The Summer Fashion Aesthetic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

The critically acclaimed film and novel Call Me By Your Name opens with the line “Somewhere in Northern Italy.” Not only does it tell us the setting of the love story, but it also popularized a summer aesthetic filled with flowy dresses, silk, and glowing skin. If you dream of spending the summer on the Italian riviera, following the Italian summer fashion will make you feel transported, even if you’re just sitting in your bedroom. 

Here are my favorite fashion pieces to give you the Somewhere in Northern Italy glow!

First: The color Pallette: 

Summer is filled with light and brightness! White is the staple color on which all outfits can be based. Add in light greens, reds, and yellows to mimic the warmth and earthiness of the Italian landscape. Now, on to the pieces!

1. Silk Slip Dresses

Light and flowy with a slight nineties flair, slip dresses are perfect to wear in the summer. They look effortless but can be dressed up at the same time. As slip dresses have come back in style, most major fashion retailers sell them. Target has a few different options for slip dresses. 

Slip dresses can be styled in numerous ways, but my favorite is with a white button-down layered on top for an effortless look. 

2. Regency Style Sundresses

The rise of Bridgeton has inspired a regency revival, and you can easily style modernized puffy-sleeved and empire-waisted dresses to fit the Italian summer aesthetic. 

Midi-length sundresses with delicate puffed sleeves and a square neckline are key! Check out Reformation for high-quality dresses and styles with dainty necklaces. 

3. Lots of linen 

Lightweight and easy to wear, linen is a classic summer staple. My favorite way to incorporate linen is a lovely sundress, but linen shorts and a tied shirt are another easy way to wear the fabric. Etsy is the go-to place for handmade linen pieces regarding where to buy them. 

4. Hair scarves

Scarves, in general, tend to be much more of a staple in European and Italian fashion than they are here in the states. But, if you aren’t feeling like wearing a silk scarf on your neck, try hair scarves for a pop of color! Silk or silk-blend ones feel amazing on the hair too! I have seen hair scarves in many places before by Anthropologie always has some options, or you can try finding vintage high fashion scarves on TheRealReal. 

5. Tan sandals 

Tan sandals will never go out of style and can be paired with absolutely everything. My all-time favorite pair of heels (and the only ones I can genuinely walk in) are a pair of tan, strappy sandals from Target. Wedges and espadrilles are also perfect. 

And there you go, my recommendations for a perfect Italian summer closet! You can view my inspiration and more on the Pinterest board!

Elena Johnston is the Editor in Chief for Her Campus at LUM. She is a senior Global Studies and Communications double major with a focus in PR at Loyola University Maryland. She is also the Communications Pathways Intern at the US Agency for International Development Bureau of Europe and Eurasia. You can usually find her in a bookstore or library listening to Taylor Swift.