Reviewing the Top 5 Study Methods, So You Don’t Have To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

It’s that time of year again! Days are getting colder, leaves are turning red and pumpkin spice is everyone. But that also means that midterms are right around the corner. College can be stressful enough without having exams to worry about. Trying to fit weeks of information from half a dozen classes into your head can be daunting. That’s why I reviewed the top 5 study techniques so you didn’t have to. 

Number 1: The SQ3R Method 

This method involves a lot of reading, so if you are not a visual learner, scroll on. The SQ3R method stands for Survey, Question, Read, Recite, Review.  

• Survey~ Skim the chapter (or chapters) relevant to your upcoming exam 
  • Question~ Ask yourself the following questions: What is this chapter about? What do I currently know about this subject? What do I need to learn about this subject? 
  • Read~ Read the full chapter(s) 
  • Recite~ Write a summary, in your own words, of the chapter(s) 
  • Review~ Go back through the chapter(s) and review the main points 

This method is very thorough, but also very time consuming and relies on you having a textbook to study from. The pros of this method are that it’s very thorough; if you stick with it, you should be able to learn the material. However, the cons are that it’s time consuming, redundant and it only works if you’re a visual learner. Overall, I rate it a 5/10. 

Number 2: Retrieval  

Retrieval practice is something you are probably already doing. Practice tests, flash cards, and Quizlets are all examples of retrieval practice. Studies show that when people attempt to recall information, they are improving their memory. Not only that, but retrieval helps train your brain, so you can remember more in the future. The pros of Retrieval are that it increases memory and can be done on the go. However, it can take several tries to stick. This method is very thorough, but also very time consuming and relies on you having a textbook to study from. The pros of this method are that it’s very thorough; if you stick with it, you should be able to learn the material. However, the cons are that it’s time consuming, redundant and it only works if you’re a visual learner. Overall, I rate it a 7/10.

Number 3: Feynman Method 

The Feynman Method works best for kinesthetic and auditory learners.  

• Write the subject or concept you are studying at the top of a sheet of paper 
  • Write down on the paper, in your own words, the subject or concept as if you were explaining it to someone else 
  • Review what you wrote and identify any areas where you were wrong. Once you have identified them, go back to your notes or reading material and figure out the correct answer. 
  • Lastly, if there are any areas in your writing where you used technical terms or complex language, go back and rewrite these sections in simpler terms for someone who doesn’t have the educational background you have.                                                 

I also explain the subject aloud, but if you are not an auditory learner you can easily skip this step. Like the first method, the Feynman Method is very thorough, but can take a good bit of time. Unlike the SQ3R method, this method does not require a lot of reading. Personally, this is my favorite method.  

The pros are that the Feynman method is very thorough; if you stick with it, you can learn the material rather quickly. It also doesn’t require a textbook and works for both auditory and kinesthetic learners. However, the cons are that it can be time consuming and is not easily done last minute. Overall, I rate it an 8.5/10.             

Number 4: Leitner System

The Leitner System works best when you have a long time to study – think at least a month. This system is a learning technique based on flashcards. Ideally, you keep your cards in several different boxes to track when you need to study each set. Every card starts in Box 1. If you get a card right, you move it to the next box. If you get a card wrong, you either move it down a box or keep it in Box 1 (if it’s already there). Below is how often you study each box: 

• Every day — Box 1 
  • Every two days — Box 2 
  • Every four days — Box 3 
  • Every nine days — Box 4 
  • Every 14 days — Box 5 

Like I said, this method can take at least a few weeks, if not months, to be truly effective. But if you have the time to put in, maybe for an end of semester exam, this method can be very effective. The pro of this system is that it can work well for all types of learners. However, the method can take a long time to be effective and you have to be able to stick with it every day. Overall, I give it a 4/10.

Number 5: Mind Mapping

Once more, this method is best for visual learners. So if that isn’t you, try a different method. 

• First, get a blank sheet of paper and write your subject or concept in the middle. 
  • Write down one of the main topics, such as a chapter title or a note header, and draw a line connecting it to the main subject. 
  • Write out supporting ideas or themes and connect them to the corresponding main topic. 
  • Use a different color for each branch to help differentiate ideas. 

This method is best for getting the broad strokes of an idea. It can become crowded if you are trying to include too many details. The pros of mind mapping are that it provides great visualization of a topic and can be referenced back to right before a test or assignment. On the other hand, it doesn’t include fine details and works best for visual learners. Overall, I give it a 4.5/10.

Midterms can be a stressful time. But if you spend a little bit of time finding the method that works for you, you can ace midterms or any test you take.  

Emily Metheny is currently a Freshman at Loyola University Maryland, dual majoring in Elementary Education and Special Education and minoring in Writing. When not in class, Emily enjoys reading, listening to music, spending time with her family, and watching TV. Her favorite show is Law and Order: SVU, and her favorite book is the Crucible!