Greenhouse1
Greenhouse1
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

Places to visit in Baltimore: Howard Peters Rawlings Conservatory

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to explore Baltimore and found myself intrigued to check out the Howard Peters Rawlings Conservatory. This conservatory is located in Druid Hill Park.  

Upon arrival, I was greeted with the beautiful architecture of the greenhouses, in addition to the acres of surrounding land which was filled with trees and greenery.  

After walking into the main entrance, a volunteer gave us a brief history of the conservatory. This conservatory is the second oldest public glass conservatory in the US, with it opening in 1888.  

The conservatory is currently broken up into five major sections: the 1888 Palm House, the Orchid Room, Mediterranean House, Tropical House, and Desert House.  

Each of these houses feature hundreds of incredible plants, trees, bushes, succulents, and more. Some of the greenhouses even had some waterfall features and a pond full of koi fish!  

Additionally, the conservatory was completely free of cost (although donations are greatly appreciated!) 

Overall, the plants were absolutely amazing to look at, and it was a great way to be one with nature. This conservatory is family friendly and there is something for everyone to enjoy there. The conservatory is also a great place for hosting social events, parties, and weddings.  

If anyone is looking for an enjoyable and inexpensive activity to check out in Baltimore, I highly recommend this historic conservatory! You can find more information about the conservatory here.  

Jenna Mattern is a Communications (Journalism) student at Loyola University Maryland. In addition to being apart of Her Campus, she is also an RA, plays club softball, and is apart of the Honor Council. She has had experience writing for other organizations in high school, and is look forward to continuing her work through Her Campus. In her free time she loves to cook, hang out with friends, shop, and go to the beach!