November Book Club: “The Night Shift” Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

In November, the Her Campus Book Club read The Night Shift by Alex Finlay. The book tells the story of four teenage girls on December 31, 1999, also known as the expected night of Y2K. Except instead of all technology turning against humanity, four girls were attacked while working a Blockbuster Video. Ella was the lone survivor of the Blockbuster, and it’s now fifteen years later. In the same town, four teenage girls are again attacked, but at an ice cream shop… and only one girl survives. The Night Shift is told through three different perspectives: Ella, the sole survivor form 1999, Sarah, the FBI agent on the case, and Chris, the brother of the supposed killer from 1999.  

The group gave an average of four stars to The Night Shift. We though the book had exciting twists and turns, but most of them took place towards the end of the book. The pacing made it hard to get into the book. The loose ends were tied together, and readers are left with little to no questions at the end. It’s a good thriller, but one that people should pack their patience for.  

This book is a good read for any crime fans. Another great recommendation, by the same author, is Every Last Fear. Every Last Fear follows Matt, a NYU student, who deals with the aftermath of his family’s murder. Another complication to Matt’s life is that his brother is currently serving a life sentence in prison for the murder of his at-the-time girlfriend. Matt has to cope with the loss of his family, while fighting to know what happened to them. I would recommend Every Last Fear over The Night Shift. Both were great books, but Every Last Fear felt more action-packed, and even read like a Criminal Minds episode.  

Elizabeth Gilmore is a senior at Loyola University of Maryland. She is from Mount Airy, Maryland. She is a Political Science Major and History Minor. In her free time she enjoys reading, listening to music, and watching TV.