This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

Even though academics can bring stress, I have enjoyed my courses at Loyola. Without a doubt, my class experiences wouldn’t be the same without the university’s incredible professors. I admire how the Jesuit liberal arts core encourages students to think critically and exposes its students to many disciplines. Because of this, I’m able to connect this curriculum to classes for my communication major and marketing minor. Here are some classes I recommend!  

1. Microeconomic Principles (EC102)  

During my first semester, I took microeconomics with Ms. Elkes for the social science core. I’m glad that I took this class to expand on the foundation I had from macroeconomics in high school. Ms. Elkes kept each class session engaging with group activities and used concrete examples in lectures. I found the weekly quizzes and online homework helpful to ensure I understood the material. I also liked researching Kraft Heinz for a company project at the end of the term! 

1. Philosophy of the Imagination (PL409)  

In this course, we studied different theories on imagination from Aristotle to Kant. I appreciated how Dr. Biss broke down complex concepts and made them accessible for students. As a seminar style class, we were able to have many enriching discussions. In my final paper, I had the opportunity to write about finding resiliency through imagination. I’m excited to have Dr. Biss again for the Honors Program capstone course in ethics!  

1. Introduction to Theatrical Production (DR252 or HN321)  

During my sophomore year, I fulfilled my Fine Arts requirement with a theater class. Dr. Bunzli, my classmates, and I created an original play throughout the fall semester. Whether you wanted to do costumes or write the script, everyone contributed to the process. I decided to be an actor and take on a small role! We also attended plays on and off campus to write reviews and brainstorm ideas for our own production. This class gave me a stronger understanding of all the work that goes into theater productions that the audience doesn’t always realize.  

1. Customer Experience Management: Disney Tour (MK349)  

Since I hadn’t been to Disney for years, this experience was special for me. Dr. Rick Klink and Dr. Jason Zhang usually teach this class in the spring semester with the study tour taking place during spring break. Before traveling to Orlando, we had several class sessions to understand customer experience management, complete a group project, and learn about Disney’s innovation in customer service. Throughout our live case study, we met with staff for backstage tours, seminars, and workshops. I’m grateful for the new perspective I have on the customer journey and the Walt Disney Company!  

1. Advertising Copy Writing (CM350)  

As an advertising and public relations specialization, I was eager to take this course with Professor Belz. In addition to weekly lectures and readings, we had an ongoing project. Each student created a fictional business or product to advertise in brochures, radio spots, commercials, etc. I made a virtual fitness service that connected customers with their local gyms amidst the pandemic. I loved finding ways to incorporate my tagline and brand identity on various promotion pieces!  

1. Class and Poverty in Bible, Theology, and the Real World (TH391)  

Last semester, I took this impactful theology course with Dr. Snodgrass. Since my faith plays a large role in my sense of justice, I found the topic fascinating. We read parts of the Torah and the Bible to examine religious teachings on class and poverty. We also looked at the work of contemporary scholars and their insights on social issues from a theological lens. I’m glad that I can apply lessons from this class to remain conscious of my behaviors and worldview. My final paper on food deserts even inspired a project for a course I’m in this semester.  

1. Digital Marketing and Analytics (MK415) 

I’m currently taking this course as a marketing elective with Professor Corrigan. The semester isn’t over yet, but I already feel more confident in my digital marketing skillset! For example, we evaluated data in Excel and Tableau. The course covers topics such as paid search advertising, social media marketing, and customer relationship management with lectures and speakers. Meanwhile, students complete an online simulation and pitch a digital marketing strategy for a company. 

Although I’m looking forward to all my classes next semester, I can’t wait for my Senior Capstone in Advertising. In this course, I’ll develop an advertising plan and ad campaign in a simulated agency environment with my peers. I wonder what client my team and I will have!  

Samantha is a senior and writer for Her Campus at Loyola University Maryland. She's a Communications major specializing in Advertising and Public Relations with a minor in Marketing. During her free time, Samantha loves discovering new music, fashion trends, food, running, and binge-watching Netflix.
Peyton Skeels is a senior at Loyola University Maryland studying Economics with a minor in Entrepreneurship. She is an RA, member of Omicron Delta Kappa leadership honor society, and currently serves as a co-Campus Correspondent and the Editor-in-Chief for HC at LUM. When not studying, you'll find her gazing through her camera lens, listening to a podcast, or working on her blog, Patience and Pajamas.