This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

If you’ve been on TikTok in the last couple months you might be familiar with the song “Escapism” by RAYE and 070 Shake. This song went viral around December, with thousands of TikTok videos made and over 200 million streams on Spotify. I’m going to be honest, I knew about the song’s popularity but I had no clue who the artist was or what the song was called– a normal occurance with viral songs on TikTok. 

RAYE came out with her debut album My 21st Century Blues on February 3rd, 2023. I know I’m a little bit late to the game but after seeing a lot of my friends rave about it, my FOMO told me to give it a listen. Here is what I thought.  

I’m going to go through each song and give it an overall rating of 1-5. Then after that, I’m going to combine all of my totals for my final verdict.  

Introduction. & Oscar Winning Tears.  

Living up to the album name, the introduction sets the scene in a bluesy speakeasy. An announcer welcomes me to the 21st Century Blues and the introduction seamlessly transitions to the first song “Oscar Winning Tears.” This song tells the story of a love who did her dirty. With the many cinema references, it is clear that the “Oscar Winning Tears.” refers to someone who blindsided her with their lies. I really enjoyed this song, it gives an Old Hollywood vibe with the piano and string arrangement but brings a modern element with the lyrics and storytelling. 

Rating:

Hard Out Here.  

“Hard out Here.” expresses the many hardships the singer endured in her lifetime. The string arrangement continues in an alternative, upbeat key. The lyricism is incredible. The passion is felt throughout the entire song; the dark times RAYE faced which caused a lot of built-up emotion, as well as how she used faith to “bounce back.” With an upbeat song like this it’s sometimes hard to discover the actual meaning, but this one clearly demonstrates feeling empowered. I really like the message behind it, however, I’m not too sure if this one would get replayed as often. 

Rating:

Black Mascara. 

This song doesn’t have many words, but it tells a lot. “Black Mascara.” has an EDM sort of beat, which usually isn’t my favorite but it works for this type of song. As the beat swells, the singer repeats “Try to understand what you’ve done to me,” emphasizing the severity of her emotions. This song was pretty okay, I just don’t like an EDM-type beat. 

Rating:

Escapism. (ft. 070 Shake) 

The famous tiktok song! It sounds very different than the sped-up version, of course, but I like the original version better. Alluding to the title of the song, this song talks about finding some sort of escape from reality. I can see why this song went viral; people may relate to not wanting to feel emotions or pain. Despite me hearing this song for months and not knowing the title, I really it. The production is amazing and the lyrics really tell a story. 

Rating:

Mary Jane.  

“Mary Jane.” is about exactly what the title says: substances. This song tackles the subject of addiction and the relationship one may have with substances. There isn’t much of a beat to the song, just a steady drum and electric guitar. The lyrics point out three different types of substances: Mary Jane, Codeine and Red Wine, each being described as some sort of companion. This song does have very serious themes that I think are important to voice especially in music and with women. I really like the message. 

Rating:

The Thrill is Gone. 

I absolutely love that this song is all live instruments. It brings me back to the bluesy vibe from the beginning. “The Thrill is Gone.” talks about a lover losing interest in them over time and the loneliness felt despite being in a relationship. This upbeat song has to be one of my favorites from the album. I really like when it slows down but then picks back up again. To me, it shows the liberation one may feel when leaving a relationship. 

Rating:

Ice Cream Man. 

“Ice Cream Man.” takes us on a journey of some of the experiences the singer went through as a young girl and a woman in the industry. “Ice cream man” refers to a man who lures women innocently but turns out to be “cold” and predatory. I found this song very moving and powerful. It shares the story of one who was once victimized and the many emotions that come with those experiences.  

Rating:

Flip a Switch. 

This song is definitely a hot girl anthem. It’s very fun and empowering, and encourages those to not give attention to those who are disrespecting them, which I love. It’s badass and basically a big “F you” to those trying to cross your path. The beat and the energy is something I definitely see myself listening to when I hang out with friends or getting ready. “Flip a Switch.” is up there with my favorite songs on the album. 

Rating:

Body Dysmorphia. 

The string arrangement from earlier becomes distorted and chaotic in “Body Dysmorphia.” As a young woman, this song definitely tugs on my heartstrings. It highlights the struggles the singer faced when it comes to her body and self-love. I view the lyrics as mental thoughts being voiced out loud. Overall “Body Dysmorphia.” is very deep and speaks volumes, especially the small monologue at the end of a young girl expressing the things she wants to change about herself. 

Rating:

Environmental Anxiety. 

“Environmental Anxiety.” communicates the current issues that lie within our world such as social media, climate change, and injustice. This song kind of is all over the place, just like our world. There are sound effects, sirens, and text tones coursing throughout the song as RAYE lists off the environmental issues that are setting our world up into flames. It made it pretty hard for me to keep up with the chaos to actually enjoy it, but I believe that to be intentional. I kind of saw this song as a PSA to the planet.  

Rating:

Five Star Hotels. (ft. Mahalia) 

I absolutely love the singer Mahalia so I knew this song wouldn’t disappoint me. And it didn’t. “Five Star Hotels.” is a sultry, moody song that describes the longing for a lover. RAYE kind of teases this person, attempting to lure them to her, which I found to be very interesting. Mahalia’s verse? I loved. She brings the same energy as RAYE in this spicy R&B-esque duo.  

Rating:

Worth it. 

“Worth it.” is another song also with only live instruments, which I’m a sucker for. This upbeat, brassy tune reminds me of a Motown hit with a modernized twist. It recounts wanting to have a loving rom-com-like relationship. In comparison to the previous songs, “Worth it.” definitely has a more light-hearted tone to it. The happiest song on the album by far.  

Rating:

Buss it Down. & Fin. 

Not going to go into great detail but “Buss it Down.” is definitely about what the title says. I found this song very carefree and fun. The piano and choir-like aspect felt like a gospel song when it’s definitely far from that, with the serious topics in this album I really liked this fun-loving closing. The contrast between the lyrics and the instrumental was kind of funny to me. The outro was quite beautiful. Given the circumstances and everything that it took for RAYE to even put this album out, I loved the thank you to her supporters, friends and family she gave at the end. It reminded me of an acknowledgments page at the end of a book. I’m really glad she did this dedication vocally. 

Rating: 4.5 

My overall verdict for “My 21st Century Blues” by RAYE is 4 out of 5 stars. This album from top to bottom felt like I was reading through her diary. Everything about these songs felt personal and from the heart. I shied away from this album for a long because I didn’t think I would like it but I’m so glad I decided to listen to it after all. I highly recommend everyone to listen to this album. It was amazing. 

Favorite Songs: Worth it, Five Star Hotels, Flip a Switch, Oscar Winning Tears 

Tyra Alexander is a National Writer for Her Campus, primarily writing about life, experiences, and academics. She is also a contributing writer at her campus chapter at Loyola University Maryland. Beyond Her Campus, Tyra is a Sophomore English Major and communications minor. She is a nonfiction editor for her campus' literary art journal, Corridors and is a copy editor for the school newspaper. In her free time, Tyra can be found reading a romance book (or two), dancing with her university’s dance company, or watching vlogs by her favorite YouTubers. She is a big fan of R&B and pop, with her favorite artists being Victoria Monét, Beyoncé, and Ariana Grande.