Style

Monochromatic outfits: how not to miss the mark 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

Personally I believe that monochromatic outfits are back on the rise, but they are something that can go wrong fast; you don’t want to look like a cartoon character. I personally love monochromatic outfits for a variety of reasons. One of the main reasons is that they are so versatile. I am usually wearing all black. I personally find that all black is practical on so many different levels, one being that I work in theatre crew so I have a plethora of different stage blacks. Despite seeming very simple, monochromatic outfits can easily be messed up, they look put together with little effort and allow for exploration, so here I present my tips and tricks surrounding monochromatic outfits. 

You can never go wrong with black on black ​​ 

When it comes to black many people are afraid to wear outfits with a lot of this color because they may seem “emo”. First of all it is not that deep, emo culture is way more than just black fits. Second, if you want to be then go for it. I am a big proponent of dressing for yourself rather than for others. Black on black just looks sleek and intimidating. I find when I am going for interviews or anything important I wear black on black. It is also something that you can make formal or casual. Black is so easy to layer and it is the color that I think is the easiest to start with since it looks less of a statement in comparison to other colors that people use, so this is a great way to dip your toes in the water of these kinds of outfits.

Layers are your best friend 

Layers. I am obsessed with them. They’re great for those days when it is cold in the morning and then you are sweating in the afternoon. It allows for you to not be trapped in an outfit if the weather suddenly changes. Another great thing about layers is that it gives these types of outfits shape, so it is not just one top and bottom blending together to make a mush of one color, you are incorporating different shapes and silhouettes into these outfits. Layers also allow you to have a few variations of the same outfit by switching some of the top pieces of the outfit. Honestly there is no negatives to using layers and especially down in Baltimore it is a necessity.  

Don’t be afraid to experiment with patterns 

One of the negative associations to monochromatic outfits is that they are flat and lack flavor, if you will. Patterns are things that are not something that you usually think of with monochromatic. But personally, I love incorporating into these different kinds of outfits. If the pattern roughly matches the color scheme of the outfit, it makes it less clear that it is monochromatic. These kinds of additions are so fun and underrated. One of my favorite monochromatic outfits has a patterned turtleneck underneath different layers and it adds this different feeling from other outfits that makes it stand out.  

Use different shades of the color to make the outfit more dynamic 

When talking to people about monochromatic outfits, one of the biggest things they say is that they do not want to be drowned out by one color. However, there is a clear solution to that! Use different shades of the same color. These different shades will add definition and dimension to these outfits. Shades, along with the patterns, is something that I love about monochromatic outfits! There is so much freedom with these different kinds of things. Even though the idea of monochromatic outfits seems restrictive, I have found that it allows me to be expressive in different ways, whether that is with accessories or with the way that I do my hair, the outfits let what I want shine and I have complete control over that.  

You probably have the foundations of these outfits already in your closet 

These outfits seem so difficult to put together but in reality, simplicity is one of the reasons that I started wearing them. I challenge you to look at your closet and put things together of similar colors that you usually would not. Maybe look at the different pants that you have and start from there, the outfits are really up to what you are comfortable with. Honestly these outfits have also let me expand my closet. Despite popular belief, I do wear non monochromatic outfits and I have a wardrobe that matches since most of my wardrobe is neutral colors. I can make countless outfits out of everything that I have. I challenge you to pick a piece that you love and feel good wearing and build an outfit off the article of clothing. 

I have found monochromatic outfits freeing and they are something that I continue to do and I hope that people who may feel lost have some new tips and tricks to try something new!  

Nez is a junior from Weymouth, Ma. They are a Theatre major, and a Gender and Sexuality studies minor. In their free time you will most likely find them in the theatre as well as in the admissions office! Outside of Loyola, Nez is passionate about music, reading and photography.