katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

How to Save Money as a College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

We have all heard the stereotype of the “broke college student.” We think of the average 20-something-year-old college student who barely finds time to get the recommended 8 hours of sleep, let alone find a part-time job. Your meals consist of Ramen noodles and frozen chicken nuggets. You use the last $20 bill you have to put gas into your car as you drive to your unpaid internship. And as much as your grandmother says that she will Venmo you whatever you need, you cannot gather up the courage to ask for financial help. Being a broke college student can be stressful so why not make it a little bit easier? Here are 5 tips to help you save yourself some money while in college: 

1. Pay less for your groceries 

While Whole Foods may have all the organic, aesthetically packaged snacks that you could imagine, this store is not always “broke college student-friendly.” Instead of shopping at a luxury grocery store, choose to shop at a more affordable grocery store. With budget-friendly grocery stores such as Aldi and Lidl popping up everywhere, it is easier than ever to buy your groceries without breaking the bank. These stores sell primarily store-brand products, which allow the store to keep the prices much lower than your typical grocery store that carries the big name-brand products. Plus, your tastebuds won’t even know the difference! A salad for dinner instead of Kraft Mac & Cheese is good for a change. Your body will thank you for it. 

1. Buy used textbooks 

Let’s face it, textbooks can be expensive. While ordering through your university’s bookstore may be the easiest option, it is not always the most cost effective. Try searching for your books on Amazon, or using a website like Slugbooks.com, to purchase your books at a cheaper price. Also, buy or rent your textbooks used instead of new! This not only saves you money, but is better for the environment as well. When possible, I always go for a used rental copy of a textbook.  

1. Brew your own morning coffee 

According to a recent study, college students who purchase coffee from Starbucks spend on average $93 per month on their coffee compared to the $6.25 it costs to make their daily coffee at home. While you may rely on your daily caffeine fix to get you through the day, you can easily get the same effects by making your own coffee at home. Head to the store and purchase your favorite milks and sweeteners and create your Starbucks latte right in your own kitchen. 

1. Take advantage of your college or university’s free amenities 

It is likely that your university offers many amenities, such as a fitness center, modern technologies and even free events. And guess what? Your tuition money is going towards these amenities. So, why not take advantage of them while you can! Once you graduate, it is unlikely that you will be able to go to the gym without having to pay out of pocket. When will you get to go to a free concert or sporting event? Take a break from studying and take advantage of all that your college or university has to offer.  

1. Utilize that student discount 

Did you know that many popular retailers offer discounts specifically for college students? All you need to do is show your college id at checkout and you will start saving! Click here for a full list of retailers offering discounts exclusively for college students.  

Good luck saving your money this school year!

Hi I'm Becca! I am a junior attending Loyola University Maryland and I am writing for HerCampus this semester! I am passionate about social justice and advocacy, as well as fashion and lifestyle content (: