Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Celebrate Valentine’s Day Based on Your Love Language  

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

Valentine’s Day is my favorite holiday. I don’t know if it’s just because it’s something to celebrate in the middle of the bleakness of winter or if it’s just because I just love love, but I know for some of you it can be unreasonably stressful day. Do yourself a favor—don’t put any pressure on the day, February 14th is a day to celebrate love. Love for the people in your life whether romantically or platonically. Love for family. And love for YOURSELF!  

So, whether you’re celebrating Valentine’s Day with your friends, your lover, or yourself, here are some things you can do to celebrate based on your love language: 

Words of Affirmation 

If you express love through words, I challenge you to find as many silly Valentine’s you can and send them to the people you appreciate in your life. It’s the only day of the year you can send your best friend a Valentine meme of Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson with the caption “you rock my world,” take advantage of that! 

Acts of Service 

Take some time to allow yourself and others to get in the Valentine’s Day spirit. Bake some brownies or pastries for you and your loved ones (bonus points if they’re heart-shaped) and spread the love! I’ll personally be trying out a Tik Tok recipe for cheese heart Danishes to give to my roomies. Or if baking isn’t your thing, grab some construction paper and start cutting out hearts to hang around your place. 

Gifts 

Treat yourself or your friends to $5 flowers from your local grocery store. I promise you, it’ll make any recipient’s day (especially your single friends who hate Valentine’s Day!) and it’ll liven up their space during winter with a pop of color! If you have long-distance besties as I do, Doordash now delivers flowers! Or, if you’re feeling extra special, get yourself and your loved one a ValenCHIME, one of Loyola’s favorite traditions! The Chimes are back selling 15-minute time slots where they will serenade whoever you choose for $5.

Quality Time 

If quality time is your love language, plan those dates! Galentine’s Day Brunch, Valentine’s dinner, or truly any time with your loved ones, and you are set! Whatever your style is, go for it—dress up or dress down, as long as you got a plan, set it in motion. Take yourself to that bookstore you’ve been wanting to check out, try out some chocolate fondue with your friends, play Wii Sports with your significant other, the choices are unlimited.  

Physical Touch 

Hug your friends, family, whoever it may be. Find your cuddle buddy and curl up to a 90s romcom. Or, if you want to go a little outside of the box, visit your local animal shelter and give some love to some furry friends—maybe even look into fostering a pet until they find a forever home?  

There are so many ways to celebrate, but at its heart, Valentine’s Day is about expressing appreciation and gratitude to those who make your life a little bit sweeter. Treat yourself and spread some love <3 

Nicole is a senior at Loyola University Maryland studying political science and communications. When she's not studying, she's probably planning her next radio show with WLOY Loyola Radio, hitting the gym or going on an adventure somewhere in Baltimore with her friends!