This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

Believe me, I get it. In March of my senior year of high school, COVID-19 entered the world scene and left its mark, to say the least. I, among many others, I’m sure, would be very glad to never hear the word pandemic again. However, unfortunately, we’re not at that point yet. As much as we want all of these to be over with, we’re still in a pandemic. For college kids, navigating the social scene this year has become a lot more difficult. If you’re struggling to make friends this semester, or if you are struggling to broaden your friend group, then this article is for you!

Here are 5 ways that you can meet some new people at your college.

Floor Friends

One great group of people to make friends with are those on your floor. This is because you guys will be right by each other all semester. Additionally, you all live in the same place so if you decide to go somewhere, you will be walking back home together. For these reasons, floor friends are great for convenience and safety. So, how exactly do you branch out? Seize a good opportunity. If you are walking on your floor and notice someone walking past you, say hi. Or if you see someone opening their dorm with their key, introduce yourself. A great introduction that’s simple and friendly could be just saying “Hi! I’m (name)! I also live on this floor (at the beginning, in the middle, at the end). I’ve been trying to meet some new people. What’s your name?” This introduction is super simple and a great way to meet a lot of people.

Extracurricular Friends 

During your time at college, joining extracurricular activities, like clubs, is a great idea for so many reasons. First of all, it simply looks good to have on your resume or applications, especially if you plan on going to a graduate school. Joining clubs shows employers and colleges that you are active in your school community and can work well on a team. In regard to your social life, clubs can actually foster some of the most compatible friendships. This is because you will meet people who have similar interests and passions as you. Therefore, you will have lots in common. A great way to spark up a friendship in a club is to branch out over social media. Follow people from your clubs online and then chat with them. Eventually, you guys can meet up in a safe way to hang out in person. 

Classmate Friends

When it comes to the best places to make friends, classes and extracurriculars are the way to go. Becoming friends with your classmates truly is one of the best options. This is because you will be friends with people who understand the workload of the classes you are taking. Also, they make amazing study partners. For these reasons, classmate friends essentially are a 2 in 1 because they help you thrive both academically and socially. Aside from all of that, you’re going to be interacting with your classmates all semester so why not become friends? Another factor to consider is that you might have a class with these people in the following semesters since you both are at the same class level this semester. 

Campus Friends

A little bit of extroversion goes a long way in making new friends. Put yourself out there and you will be surprised by how many friendships you make as a result. So, how do you do this? Strike up a random conversation across campus. This may sound a bit strange and awkward but trust me, people are just going to think that you are friendly. So, next time you ride the elevator with people, instead of standing in silence branch out! You could ask them what residence building they live in and if they like it. Or you could go the simple route by asking how their day went. More conversation starters can be related to what’s going on at your campus. For example, if it’s midterms week you could ask how their studying has been going or say that you’re excited for next week. Although you might not make close friends this way, at least there is another familiar face. 

Through Others

Another good way to make new friends is through your current friends, roommate, and suitemates. This is convenient because you all can hang out together since everyone knows each other. Since one of your other friends is friends with this person, you will probably be compatible with these people too. Plus, if the friend you met the person through is busy, the two of you can simply hang out. This is a great way to create a larger friend group.

Although everything may seem overwhelming right now, it’s all going to be okay! Wishing you all the best of luck this semester and finding many forever friends.