This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

It’s not uncommon during the month of October to hear blood chilling screams of terror coming from a corn field or haunted house. Many flock to these thrilling activities for a good night of fright. I am included in the many. Here are some of my concepts that I have seen while walking through these chilling corridors.  

1.     The attention to detail

For the majority of time I would argue that haunted houses pay the utmost attention to detail. Specifically, how the lighting affects the scare actors. If I am not able to see the spooky props or beautifully done make-up, how am I supposed to be horrified? But when that is carried through to the very end, *chef’s kiss*, it becomes perfection. 

2.     How the theme is incorporated 

There is a formula to building a haunted house. From the beginning, how the theme is continuously incorporated helps it transform into a spooky reality. Whether you are walking through the many floors of a haunted hotel or on a hayride, the consistency of the theme is so important. I spend time dissecting what is happening. That’s part of the thrill of it.  

3.     The unpredictability of a scare  

This is oddly specific because for the majority the scares are amazing but when you are going through it and there is a lull, then *boom*, that to me is best scare. It is pure magnificent horror. For me scares cannot be predicted, meaning that I do not want to figure out the pattern of how the scare actors move throughout the house. There has to be unpredictability that adds to the scare factor.  

4.     Having human characters being just as scared as the audience 

This adds to the element of a haunted house because it validates the fear that you are having. At the same time, it can elevate the fear because they know something is coming that you are unaware of.  

5.     When it is not Halloween themed

Curve ball, I know. In Colorado, I have been to a haunted house called the 13th Floor. The biggest attraction is its Christmas haunted house during the month of December. They layer a Christmas theme over everything haunted.  The addition of creepy Christmas elements makes the adrenaline rush twice more than going through the “standard” Halloween themed haunted house.  

So, if you find yourself yearning for a rethought chilling corridors remember these.  Happy Haunting my little ghouls! I hope this makes you deepen your appreciation for all things spooky this season.  

Sydney is a sophomore at LUM and is majoring in Data Science with a minor in Mathematics. She is from Denver, Colorado. During her free time, she enjoys hanging out with friends, exploring and having new adventures, and being active. Some of her favorite activities are dancing with the LUM Dance Company, scuba diving, hiking, skiing, and running. She loves trying new restaurants, eating good food, going to concerts and museums.