Spring Flowers Pink Summer Warm Weather Season Color Bloom Beautiful Trees Flowers Life Happy Bright Fun Outside Outdoors Calm
Jackie Ryan / Her Campus

Birds to Watch in Maryland this Spring 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

Spring is here! That means the best weather of the year is coming very soon. (Hint: The perfect weather for birdwatching) These are a few of my favorite birds to see and look for in Maryland during the spring. 

1. Cardinals – They are easily spotted, and fun to see when you do! Their vibrant red color stands out amongst most things in nature.  
  1. Orioles – Not only the mascot of Baltimore’s baseball team, but this bird is also exciting to spot. They are notable for their orange belly and black with white-tipped wings.  
  1. Robins – Often a sign of good luck, these birds are seen in yards and perched in trees. Not to be confused with an Oriole, these birds also share an orange stomach and black wings.  
  1. Eastern bluebirds – These are some of my favorite birds to spot. They have an orange and white belly and a blue body. However, they are slightly smaller than some other birds on this list.  
  1. Ravens – Another mascot, the Baltimore football team specifically; these birds are entirely black. They are easily confused with crows, but these birds’ beaks are larger and more curved.  
  1. Bald Eagles – More commonly seen west of Baltimore towards the Appalachian Mountains, these are a beauty to see. Most are familiar with the look of the bird with its white head and brown body.  
  1. Pileated Woodpeckers – I love spotting these in the wild. They can be found by following the sound of trees being knocked at. They are distinguishable by the red crests of their heads, white and black faces, and black bodies.  
  1. American Goldfinches – If you’ve ever seen a bright, almost neon-yellow bird around the Baltimore area, it is highly probable that it was a Goldfinch. However, their head and wings do have a touch of black and white in some cases.  
  1. Blue Jays – Noticeable by their bright blue, these are gorgeous birds. Looking at them from behind, the design on their wings and tail is a distinct cubical pattern.  

One of my favorite apps for seeing unique or interesting birds is the Audubon Bird Guide. You can input a description of a bird you are unfamiliar with, and it shows you potential matches. Also, you can track when and where you’ve seen certain birds.  

Spot any cool birds on Loyola’s campus or around the city? Post it, and make sure to tag @hcatlum on Instagram! 

Book-lover, indie-obsessed, studying space and writing for the thrill of it