This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUM chapter.

If you’re anything like me, the changing of the seasons is a joyous yet dreaded time. While we may love the sweater weather, pumpkin spiced lattes and the chill of Halloween, it can also be an emotionally taxing change in your body. Here are my tips for softening the blow of the autumn and winter seasons. 

1. Take Vitamin D 

Vitamin D is the “Sunshine Vitamin”. It makes your teeth, bones, and muscles stronger, as well as boosts your immune system. Our bodies typically create this vitamin by absorbing the sun through our skin. During the fall, the days become shorter, so receiving a decent amount of Vitamin D can be hard to do. This is why taking Vitamin D supplements is essential for keeping the production regular. 

1. Go outside 

Yes, it’s true that the cloudy overcast and bitter cold can turn any lively campus into a ghost town, but it’s so important that you make it out of your dorms. Whether it be going for a 15-minute walk or playing in the snow, going outside is so important for your mental state. The fresh air reminds you that you’re alive and the silence of the campus can be quite serene. Besides, who doesn’t want to go jump in a pile of leaves with their friends and grab some Starbucks afterwards?! 

1. Do a fun fall project. 

The amount of fall recipes I have seen on my TikTok would amaze you. There are endless cinnamon, pumpkin, and apple flavored desserts to try and create. Cookies, cupcakes, and pies galore. If you aren’t into baking, that’s fine! You can always decorate your dorm for the fall season. Rotate between putting your roommates on fun leaves for door markers, or re-creating hand turkeys like you did in kindergarten. Pinterest has an endless number of fun arts and crafts for everyone to try! 

1. Curl up to your favorite movie marathons 

Harry Potter, Twilight, and Lord of the Rings are my go-to fall films. There is nothing I love more than re-watching my favorite films with a nice bowl of popcorn and a fuzzy blanket. If you’re more of a horror fan, what could be more fun than watching your favorite slasher films with a few friends? Or maybe if you’re more of an autumnal romantic, When Harry Met Sally… and a face mask might be the way to end the night.  

1. Hang out with your friends 

If nothing else works for me, then I know that seeing my besties’ goofy faces will make me happy. It’s critical that you stay connected with your friends when those feelings of loneliness arise. It’s always fun, going to a fall festival with some friends to fix a mood, and movie marathons are twice as fun when you have your besties around. When in doubt, get dinner together and do a fun craft. Have a karaoke night where you showcase your best (and worst) vocals. Regardless of what you do, doing it with friends is always better. 

Bree Hawes is from Middle River, MD. She is a junior at Loyola University Maryland. Her major is Speech-Language Pathology. She enjoys watching anime (Full-Metal Alchemist is her all-time favorite!), musicals, reading manga, listening to the Arctic Monkeys, watching Marvel movies, and any and everything nerd related! In her free time, she is probably browsing Amazon for lego sets.