What Are You Grateful For?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

The end of the year is fast approaching. While that brings holidays, food and maybe gift-giving, it also brings an opportunity for reflection.

How have we grown during the year? What lies ahead for us as the new year comes closer? Reflection, after all, is embedded in the Jesuit heritage of Loyola, no matter your individual beliefs. And reflection let’s us take a step back from the chaos that is our world, and lets us find who we are as people.

Thanksgiving, to me, is an often neglected holiday. I think it is a wonderful time to have a break and think about what is in your life that you truly appreciate.

I wanted to get a sense of how Loyola students feel about gratefulness.

What comes to mind when you hear the word “blessing?”

“I guess, to me, it would mean having the opportunity to spend time with your family and the people you love, especially around Thanksgiving.” –Claire Filpi, fourth-year

“When I hear the word ‘blessing,’ I immediately think of my family. I am truly blessed to have such a fun, loving, and hilarious family that always has my back. I literally can’t wait to spend the holidays with them!” –Miky Belmonte, third-year

What comes to mind when you hear the word “grateful?”

“When I think of ‘grateful’ I immediately  think of my parents. My parents are the most loving, supportive, and generous people I know. They have given me the world and for that I am forever grateful.” –Arwa Madhwala, second-year

Why do you think people are often ungrateful?

“Personally, I feel people are often ungrateful, because we’re too focused on what we feel we deserve, or what is owed to us. Instead, we should be focusing on all the great things we already have.” –Miky Belmonte, third-year

“It can be difficult to recognize the privileges some of us may have. If we don’t recognize that a factor in our life is something that not everyone has or that wasn’t a given in our life, then it’s pretty hard to be thankful for it.” –Anna Dexter, third-year

Annie Kate Raglow is a fourth-year honors student at Loyola University Chicago. She is a journalism major with a music minor, and she enjoys her role as contributor for the LUC chapter of Her Campus. Annie was Campus Correspondent when the chapter re-launched at LUC. She has a passion for traveling and meeting new people, as well as advocating for social issues. Career goals (as of right now) include opportunities in investigative or documentary journalism. Music is a huge part of Annie's life, and one of her favorite pastimes is performing at local Chicago "open mic" nights. She also loves finding independent coffee shops! Annie is ambitious in pursuit of her journalism and music skills, and loves everything that Her Campus has to offer.
I am a fourth year student at Loyola University Chicago. I am highly interested in journalism, and social media marketing, especially when it comes to news and fashion. My current experiences consist of sales in different companies throughout the Midwest, such as Ann Taylor and Kate Spade, and editorial work with various companies, including Her Campus and Orange Coast magazine.