Top 3 Gelato Places in Rome, Italy From a Study Abroad Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

In 2022, I studied abroad in Rome, Italy for roughly five months. During this time, I got to eat (devour) delicious gelato and of all the places I got to try, these three places stood out the most. Whether it be history, aesthetic or taste, they each have a reason for you to visit on your next Roman adventure. 

1. Giolitti

I have to start off with an obvious one that has a great reputation. Founded in 1890, this is one of the oldest gelato parlors in Rome. Along with delicious gelato, it also serves amazing pastries and cookies. Located at Via Uffici del Vicario, this shop isn’t hard to miss as it has a large sign on its storefront that lights up at night to illuminate the Italian cobblestone street. Once inside, you pay for your gelato first and then bring your cup to the back of the shop to retrieve your scoops. From mouth watering flavors like raspberry to classic favorites like cookies and cream, this shop offers a large variety of flavors and you can’t go wrong with any of them. 

If you are ordering it to-go, it is served in a green cup and can be enjoyed on the street outside but if you want to feel bougie, I recommend ordering it in house at least once. Find a seat at the dining room on the left side of the parlor and order from their menu. The server will bring your gelato in a glass bowl with cookie garnish. It is the perfect escape from the outside world and the dining room is obviously aesthetically pleasing.

2. Cremi Gelateria Artigianale

Found right off of Piazza Navona at Via di S. Agnese in Agone 20, this gelato place is underrated and oftentimes neglected but personally, I think it’s my ultimate favorite place because of this. Perhaps it’s because it’s not a well-known place that it seems to be my own personal place, but the shop is affordable and if you want, they can cover your gelato in a hard chocolate shell, and I’ll always take more chocolate. It’s the perfect palace to take your gelato on a stroll through the city as seating is limited. The flavors are also exceptional but I must say, the variety isn’t as extraordinary as Giolitti. My personal favorite is their mint chip with the chocolate shell. My mouth is watering as I type this…

3. Cremeria Monteforte 

I discovered this place very late in my five month adventure and it’s one of my regrets. Located right by the Pantheon, this place offers unique flavors like Spicy Chocolate among others and is highly recommended by my Italian professor (a true Italian recommending a place – it has to be AMAZING). After a tour of the Pantheon for one of my final history classes, my friend and I stumbled upon this place when we ran into our professor and knew we found a gem. Like Cremi, this place is small so it’s ideal to take it to-go and enjoy the sites around you but the prices are also affordable. Sadly, since I only went once due to less time left in Italy, I can’t attest to many flavors but the chocolate was divine and I still think it’s in my top three.

Of course, these three places are only a few of hundreds of delicious places offered in Rome and this is only my opinion, but after trying some questionable flavors and enjoying the dessert every night for five months, I’ve earned my credentials to state my top three.

Sarah is from Dayton, Ohio and is currently studying MultiMedia Journalism at Loyola University Chicago. She enjoys thrifting, traveling, fashion, film photography and lifestyle. She is a creative person and finds comfort in writing, exploring the great city of Chicago, and listening to music. Her dream job is to travel and see the world as she writes about different cultures and activities to do in those different countries. Instagram: @sarahgsommers