The Best Ways to Celebrate Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Galentine’s day first became popular around ten years ago, when Parks and Recreation released an episode centered around the Valentine’s day spin off. Since then, Galentine’s has become a staple tradition within friend groups, even for those who are in relationships. Here are some ways to best celebrate your girlfriends!

1. Support a women-owned business together

Owning a business has hardly gotten easier since the rise of COVID-19, and this especially applies to female entrepreneurs. Here are some women-owned businesses to support in the Chicagoland area:

2. Exchange your favorite things

Think a White Elephant party, but Valentine’s Day-themed and only using your favorite things! Set a budget, and have everyone purchase their favorite things to gift to each other. This could include anything, from your favorite snack to your most complimented jewelry!

3. One big coffee shop date

For something a little more cozy, try getting everyone together for a group coffee date! Getting together for coffee is always warm and homey, and it’s a great way to go out and catch up without having to commit to something fancy. Here are some great Chicago coffee shops to visit: 

4. Have a self care night in together

If you want to treat yourself but don’t want to leave the house, this is a great way to get the best of both worlds. Order in some takeout, put on some sheet masks and pick a movie everyone will enjoy!

5. Facetime cooking party

With how hectic life can get, it can sometimes be a little hard to get everyone together at the same time. If this is the case, try getting everyone on FaceTime to cook together! Whether you’re baking, fixing a quick snack or cooking dinner, everyone can catch up and share tips while cooking, then come together to eat your delicious creations.

Sofia is from Lincolnwood, a small village bordering Chicago. She is currently majoring in Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience at LUC, and wants to attend medical school after undergrad. Her hobbies include embroidering, reading, spending time with her family and friends, and exploring the city.