This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Thrifting is one of the best ways to discover new pieces for your closet, and it’s sustainable too! 

As the weather cools and we start to reach for our warmer clothing, here are the best thrift stores in Chicago for finding your closet staples.

1. My Sister’s Closet (5413 W Devon Ave.)

My Sister’s Closet is a consignment store located on Devon. This store carries women’s and children’s clothing for all shapes and sizes, and the staff are incredibly helpful and upfront. If you’re looking for some trendy or unique pieces to add to your closet, or just a fun thrifting day, My Sister’s Closet is perfect.

My Sister’s Closet is open Monday through Thursday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Friday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

2. Kokorokoko (1323 N Milwaukee Ave.)

Kokorokoko is an 80s-90s based thrift store located on Milwaukee, in Wicker Park. It was first founded in 2009 by Ross Kelly and Sasha Hodges with the idea of collecting and selling vintage finds from the ‘post hip-hop, pre-Internet era’. Kokorokoko is most known for their extensive and colorful selection, as well as their large assortment of pop culture books and accessories. If you’re in need of a statement piece, Kokorokoko is the way to go.

Kokorokoko is open Sundays, Mondays and Thursdays from noon to 6 p.m. and Fridays and Saturdays from noon to 7 p.m.

3. Mercy Beaucoup (1545 N Wells St.)

Mercy Beaucoup is located on Wells in Old Town. This resale boutique benefits Mercy Home for Boys and Girls, which is a children’s charity that focuses on full-time living spaces for children in need. This store is known for their great prices and excellent quality (of both clothes and service). It’s also really fulfilling to know that you’re helping the local community when you shop here!

Mercy Beaucoup is open Tuesday through Friday 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

4. El Dorado Thrift (2634 N Milwaukee Ave)

El Dorado Thrift is located on Milwaukee in Logan Square. This Hispanic-family owned business was created with their childhood thrifting experiences in mind, and is most well known for their trendy selection of clothes and shoes at extremely affordable prices. Growing up, this family was taught to shop ‘Bueno, Bonito, y Barato,’ or ‘Good, Nice, and Cheap.’ To them, this meant searching through racks of clothes for hours on end, all the while hoping that they wouldn’t bump into anyone they knew. When they were able to start their own business, this family wanted to create a space where people weren’t embarrassed to come in, and where they wouldn’t have to go through three racks of clothes just to find something good. This is why they chose the name ‘El Dorado’ which refers to the myth of the Lost City of Gold – they wanted to create a ‘legendary place filled with treasures’.  

El Dorado is open Wednesday through Sunday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

5. The Brown Elephant (3020 N. Lincoln Ave. ; 5404 N. Clark St. ; 217 Harrison St.)

The Brown Elephant is widely considered to be a Chicago thrift store staple. With three locations across the city, Brown Elephant Resale is most well known for their wide selections, affordable prices, and hidden gems in the furniture section. Similar to Mercy Beaucoup, when shopping here, you’ll also be helping out a great cause – all proceeds go towards LGBTQ+ health and care for the under or uninsured at Howard Brown Health. Currently, their Andersonville and Lakeview locations now offer free HIV and STI screenings through Howard Brown Health, so you can ‘Stop, shop, and know your status’.

The Brown Elephant’s Anderson and Lakeview locations are open 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, and the Oak Park location is open 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday.

Sofia is from Lincolnwood, a small village bordering Chicago. She is currently majoring in Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience at LUC, and wants to attend medical school after undergrad. Her hobbies include embroidering, reading, spending time with her family and friends, and exploring the city.