Style

Suburban Dad, But Make it Fab: Fall Outfit Inspo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

You’ve seen the memes: now that fall is here, we can really start dressing. But how can we curate those perfect fall outfits if our wardrobes look like we’ve been raiding our dad’s closet for the past six years? Simple. We layer. 

Fall is the perfect time to step out in multiple articles of clothing. It adds dimensions, mixes patterns and keeps you warm despite any crisp breezes that may be floating about. And what’s better to layer than the ultimate dad essentials: prints, quarter-zips and nylon. 

For these looks, I took five tops I’d been wearing this summer and transitioned them into something more appropriate for the changing season. And just as a disclaimer, you can decide if I’m actually that pale, or if the exposure was just extra wack on picture day!

Quarter-Zips

The dads really knew what they were doing with this one. Quarter-zips are perfect for chilly weather without being suffocating! And they’re cute as either solid colors or patterns, which means there’s plenty of styling options. I tucked mine into high-waisted jeans, paired it with some booties and stepped on out.

Bold Prints

We’ve all seen the dad with a print that seem just a little bit too loud for the function. Just because it’s fall doesn’t mean we have to kiss those prints goodbye! Instead, try layering them up so you can stay warm while tone them down. I opted to throw on another pattern to diffuse the strength of the red.

Button-Ups

What’s a typical dad wardrobe without the plain-colored button-up?! A lot of these button-ups can become the perfect oversized jacket to layer either underneath or overtop of a dress. I picked a floral, but one with earthy fall colors so that I matched the shirt and the season. This is a look for those days when the summer weather just won’t let go.

Nylon

As a kid I remember shuddering at the touch of a nylon jacket. Now I’m loving the old-school varsity vibes it gives off! And the material really does do a fantastic job of keeping you warm. I cropped this navy blue windbreaker and paired with sneakers and a baseball hat to fully commit to the sporty look.

Hawaiian Shirts

Finally, what’s a dad look-book without a Hawaiian shirt?! My favorite fit of the bunch, I tried to make this quintessentially oversized shirt the focal point of my outfit by keeping my pants and turtleneck black. Then, with accents of color at my head and feet, it creates a look your dad might not wear, but you would definitely rock!

HCLUC Co-CC Shelby is an LUC senior studying multimedia journalism, cultural anthropology, political science and Asian studies. Although she grew up in South Dakota, she has found homes in Chicago, Morocco, and Vietnam. She strives to continue traveling the world to seek out human triumphs and trials by telling stories through a fresh, unbiased viewpoint. When she's not studying or working, Shelby is a devoted fan of sunsets, strawberry smoothies, and Seth Meyers.