This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Ellison Snider is a Sophomore at Loyola University Chicago and has been studying at the John Felice Rome Center this past semester. This interview took place via Facebook, where Ellison explained her inspiration, personal style, and the style that she has been immersed into while studying abroad in Rome.

Where do you get your style inspiration from?

Generally when I think of my style, I instantly admit that I wear mostly neutral toned clothing, that is made well and comfortable. I think simplicity is key and often times, people tend to over do it whether it be with too many patterns, over-accessorizing, and even just mixing too many fabrics and textiles.

One trend that I absolutely love right now is the return of the 80s grunge. The ripped denim, black leather, and comeback of flannels and Doc Martens is a perfect example of simplicity and trendy looks in equilibrium. I really love Kristen Stewart’s boyish charm. 

While in Rome, have you picked up on any different fashion styles and trends that you will bring back to the U.S.?

Romans and Europeans in general tend to dress more modestly than we do in the U.S. My friends and I will walk through the piazza in our typical American high-waisted shorts or sundresses and we are instantly stared at. Women and men here find a way to look so beautiful, yet so modest and I think that is something that we can all try to emulate. I think that upon my return to the U.S. it’ll be odd to see my peers, myself included, going out for the evening in the regular uniform of fitted bodycon dresses or skirts paired with revealing tops without being entirely gawked at by locals. I have really grown to appreciate and try to take after the classy adult fashion that surrounds me. 

What is your favorite thing about fashion in Rome and how is it different from fashion in the U.S.?

What I love most about the fashion in Rome is the emphasis on quality! This is a country full of authentic leather, finely stitched clothing, and beautiful jewelry. Europe really has it all when it comes to fashion, but what really sets it apart is that it revolves around product authenticity. I feel like in the U.S. it is so easy and cheap to simply go to Forever XXI or H&M (both stores I shamelessly shop at myself) and get the trendiest, cheapest product. Romans spend money on quality goods that will last because of the simplicity in their style, a lot of these products remain fashion forward for several reasons. 

Where are your favorite places to shop?

My absolute favorite store is All Saints. the clothes there generally follow a neutral color scheme stitched out of the finest materials. The industrial, grunge designs feel so timeless. Another one of my favorite stores is Brandy Melville, which I actually found out, while abroad, is and Italian company! These designs meet my need for simplicity, but also incorporate the fun graphic tee and flannel grunge look. Lastly, I love American Apparel. The clothes may sometimes be considered too basic, but I appreciate the mission to keep manufacturing in the U.S. 

What is the most important thing to remember/do while getting ready for the day/night?

I think the most important thing to keep in mind while getting ready, whether it be day or night, is to never over do it. This can be applied for hair and make up, accessories, but probably never for layering. You can never have too many layers. 

LUC Contributor Account