This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Loyola prides itself on having a diverse student body that comes from many different places in the world.  One group of students that exemplifies this international diversity is Loyola’s Rome Start students.  Rome Start is a program available to students attending high school outside the U.S.  These students spend their first year of college in Rome, then come back to Loyola’s Chicago campus their sophomore year.  Shanele Changoo is one student who has participated in this unique program. Read on to learn more about her international experiences.     

First, can you give a little background about yourself?

I’m currently a sophomore Biology major. My family is originally from the Caribbean island of St. Lucia. I really don’t have a place I consider home, considering that I haven’t stuck around in one place to leave any dignified roots. I have lived in several states in the US, China since 2009, and Italy for my freshman year of college. I still go back to China during Christmas holidays and summers, when I don’t go back to the Caribbean.

Why did you choose to apply for and be a part of the Rome Start program?

Honestly, I just really wanted to study abroad in Europe. After living in North America and then Asia, why not give Europe a try? Every country has such a unique culture, and the history behind each country is quite interesting.

How has being a Rome Start student impacted your college experience?

Being a Romestarter forced me to be an outsider.  Only 6 of my classmates were international students. I was the youngest in a sea filled with upperclassmen in a foreign country. It certainly does open your eyes to new possibilities and allows you to broaden your horizons by meeting new people and going out to explore a beautiful city.

What was the most memorable experience you had during your year in Rome?

Definitely the midnight crepe/gelato runs I had with my friends. And, just wandering the city in hopes of stumbling upon an N6 [bus] that would take us back up the hill to campus at 2:00 in the morning.

What was it like to transition from living in Europe to living in America?

The transition wasn’t difficult at all. I’ve moved more than one person should, so it was just like having another fresh start, except this would be the second time without having my parents moving with me.

What do you like most about Loyola (in Chicago) and what do you miss most about the Rome Center?

I love that all the friends that I had memories with in Rome also live in Chicago and we were able to keep our friendships going.  Plus, they could teach me all the things about Chicago that I wouldn’t think of on my own. However, I do miss the 3-day weekends we had for traveling at the Rome Centre.

If you were to give one piece of advice to a student who was thinking about studying abroad what would it be?

If you’re a science major, I suggest not studying abroad unless you’re okay with only doing core classes. Otherwise, it puts you behind an entire year, at least since I was a Rome Starter.

Any other information you would like to share?

Even though I’ve moved around a lot of times, I wouldn’t change it for anything. It’s helped shape my personality and given me an even more diverse cultural background. If they get the chance, I think everyone should take the chance to study abroad. It gives you a different perspective on things in life, and teaches you to be more open-minded. Plus, it gives you great stories to tell.

Katie Walther is a senior at Loyola University Chicago. She is majoring in English and Secondary Education. When she is not teaching she loves to catch up on reading and explore the nooks and crannies of Chicago. She is excited to be a part of Her Campus LUC!
LUC Contributor Account