Goodman Theater, CHICAGO IL
Goodman Theater, CHICAGO IL
Original photo by Sarah Sommers

Review: “The Ripple, The Wave That Carried Me Home” Screamed Their Intended Message

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

At the Goodman Theatre, a story is told about history, hardships and home. Playwright Christina Anderson sheds light on the segregation of African Americans at public swimming pools in the 60’s, as well as touching upon family relationships being ruined due to activism and the exhaustion of fighting for equality in a country that never changes. 

“Our people, united, will never be defeated!” The chant fills the theater as the characters Janice, Edwin and Helen, a family from Beacon, Kansas, are fighting for their rights to swim in a pool with white people. The costumes reflect the decade of the late 60’s, implying this is a flashback to Janice’s childhood. 

Throughout the 105 minutes of this play, Janice, played by the exceptionally talented Christina Clark, only leaves the stage for 60 seconds to change costumes. The rest of the time, she is moving from phone calls between her and one of the other three characters, flashbacks to her childhood in the 60’s and her life in Ohio in the 90’s. 

After being a spokesperson for her parents’ movement from 8 years old through her teenage years, Janice is tired of losing the fight and runs from her political inheritance. It isn’t until years later, after her father has passed that her past has caught up to her and she starts getting memories of a home she left behind. 

Janice faces her fear of swimming as it is a political and social symbol that is not only what made her childhood memorable but is also the wave taking her back to her hometown. After an emotional journey of flashbacks and present day trials, Janice finds comfort in her hometown and is rewarded in the end. 

Goodman Theater, CHICAGO IL
Original photo by Sarah Sommers

Directed by Jackson Gay, “The Ripple, The Wave That Carried Me Home” is set on one stage with moving components to display different settings. A shallow pool with faded lines and rusty poles is at the center and behind it, a trophy case full of photos and momentos. When the scene has moved to a living room or dining room, the trophy case slides to the left to reveal a couch or table. With a small space, the crew has successfully managed to create several locations in one set without confusing the audience of where they are set. 

From the small details to the realistic acting, the cast of four was able to portray a story with many elements in a clear and concise way without missing a beat. The small cast was comfortable and well-suited to their roles, and were able to get the intended reaction from the audience. 

The riveting performance comes with a powerful message alongside hints of comedy to lighten the mood just in time for Black History Month. The production is gut-wrenching at times but with a triumphantly happy ending, Anderson’s interpretation of the history of segregation ends with a teary eyed audience, a standing ovation, and a call to action knowing that there is still work to be done for equality. 

Sarah is from Dayton, Ohio and is currently studying MultiMedia Journalism at Loyola University Chicago. She enjoys thrifting, traveling, fashion, film photography and lifestyle. She is a creative person and finds comfort in writing, exploring the great city of Chicago, and listening to music. Her dream job is to travel and see the world as she writes about different cultures and activities to do in those different countries. Instagram: @sarahgsommers