New Years Resolutions You’ll Keep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Happy New Year, Ramblers! I hope you are having a great 2016 so far. A new year means new beginnings, new memories, new achievements, and new goals. We have all been victims of seeing the horrible surplus of tweets, Facebook posts, and Instagram pics with people declaring #newyearnewme. We may have even posted about our New Year resolutions ourselves, knowing that people usually do not follow through with these pretty basic goals. Here are five things we all should try to put our energy and time in actually achieving this year!

1. Stop worrying about what others think. I’m sure that I’m not the only girl who feels insecure from time to time and wonder about what others may be thinking about me. Fearing that other people are judging you hurts you more than it helps you, so why do we do it? Let’s all dedicate 2016 to being able to be confident enough not to care what other people may think of us. After all, at the end of the day, the only thoughts that matter are our own, so why worry about what others think of us?

2. Laugh more. This almost seems like it is too small of a goal to even set for ourselves. Believe it or not, laughing more is actually really beneficial for your health. It is a simple, yet major stress reliever and not only keeps us mentally and physically healthy, but can also strengthen our relationships with our loved ones. Who doesn’t love joining good friends in a good laugh? Even if the joke isn’t actually funny, you are bound to end up laughing along with your friend because laughter is definitely contagious.

3. Work on time management. Having good time management skills is helpful to everyone, especially colleges students. We can all benefit from knowing know to spend our time wisely. This year, we should all make it a main goal to prioritize better and set aside specific time to study while also allowing time for ourselves to relax, have fun, and truly enjoy the college experience. Besides, who likes panicking a few hours before a deadline because of major procrastination?

4. Regulate sleeping schedules. Whoever said sleep is for the weak definitely does not truly know the effects of getting a good night’s rest. Sleeping for at least 7 hours a night can affect the way we function. Sleep helps us remember things easier since it improves memory. Improvements in memory can also lead to better test scores, which we all love and appreciate in college. Also, sleep is correlated with living longer, so why not get a good amount of it each night?

5. Forgive yourself and live with no regrets. We all have a past and sometimes there are things that have happened that we are not too proud of. It’s important to not dwell on these moments and understand that everyone makes mistakes. We should all forgive ourselves for the things we aren’t too proud of, but we should also own up to our mistakes and learn from them. If we learn from our mistakes, it will be so much easier to live with no regrets because no one really regrets making good decisions or having a fun and safe time. These are only a few goals that we can all improve on this year.

No matter where 2016 takes you, I hope by the end of this year, you are all happier, healthier, and wiser than you were the year before!

Christy is a senior Psychology and Spanish major. She is one of the Campus Correspondent's of Loyola Univeristy Chicago's Her Campus chapter. She basically lives for Zumba classes and corgis. Her passions include promoting domestic violence awareness and mental health awareness and she does so through Alpha Chi Omega and Active Minds!
Molly is the Loyola University Chicago CC, a PR consultant and fashion merchandiser by day, a blogger by night, and a coffee addict all the time. She's a Starbucks and Sephora VIP member, which is both a blessing and a curse, and would rather get Valentino than a Valentine. Her interior design efforts usually incorporate elk, while her wardrobe consists of black, black, and slightly darker shades of black.